Sunday 30 March 2008

Moving on

So tomorrow's April and on the way home on the Tube I was thinking that maybe I should announce that I am actually a woman.

Or that I've been pissing you around and that this is actually my photo...

But then I realise that April Fool's jokes are so over-rated and tried so there will be no silly pranks.

Please, if someone does one to you tomorrow, you have to roll your eyes.

Speaking of the Tube - do you know, it's a fucking rich seam to mine.

Do we all know who this is on the left?

Yes, it's Donald Rumsfeld on the right and on the left is Hamid Karzai the president of Afghanistan.

Well knock me down with a feather. Check who I spot on the Jubilee Line between Baker Street and Bond Street!

It's the goddam Afghan president man!

Okay. Fuck it, lame joke.

Moving on...

Blogs are funny things. Seriously.

We're all connected in this shit-hole that is life. We're all connected whether you like it or not.

Firstly...

Here's a picture of Juan's lunch.

Even though I run away from carbs like Nicole Kidman runs away from Tom Cruise, I will say that Juan, your bread looks pretty tasty.

Like it has carraway seeds in it or something.

Next we have PT who mails with a picture of his ride in London. It's a dark blue Audi convertible.

It's similar to my Audi except mine is black. And it's a much later model.

So it's not really like this at all actually. No we're not clutching at spanners because next the following arrives.

Remember yesterday I was telling you about my shitty job at this broadcaster where I was paid crap money and ended up crying in the toilets most of the time? And when I wasn't doing that I would be drinking myself to black out. Remember?

Well, this arrives...

"Hey Bobby,

Your last post really struck a chord with me.

I am currently working for exactly the same media giant in Isleworth and have been for six years, it's slowly killing me, i've got to dig my tunnel faster, sometimes I wonder if I am ever going to escape from the Death Star, so it's great to hear a positive story from someone who escaped!

In actual fact it's hard to think of a more bleak and dismal experiance than working for said company in Isleworth, which truly is a shit hole, during a British winter. No wonder you were miserable, I sometimes wonder if this is all that life has to give."


Firstly it's kinda weird that someone worked at the same place as I did. Hey, maybe they're sitting at my old desk?

There is no name to this comment so I wanted to say it now...

To whoever you are - I so feel your pain. I don't know if you drive into work but I remember getting off the Piccadilly Line at Osterley every morning and just feeling this wave of depression wash over me.

Walking down Grant Way and into those fucking warehouses was like having my soul sucked out of my body.

I could no longer do it and I left. It's as easy as that. If you really want to leave you will.

Don't be scared. Yes, things may be comfortable. Yes, you get free satellite but there's more to life than being stuck in a warehouse in TW7.

I was there mate. I was so there. And I escaped and I have never looked back.

Start putting out feelers. Don't be afraid. Contact the opposition. When I first wrote to the _ _ _, I was told all they could offer me was one shift a week.

I grabbed it and within a month I was telling the rota person to stop calling me because I was over-burdened with work.

I don't know what it is that you do but those prefab buildings with the stinky carpets and ageing pictures on the wall is a great place to learn. But you can't stay there.

Tomorrow when you're standing in that canteen queue buying those ridiculous plastic coffee saches, think to yourself "Bobby was stood in here and he did something about it... now so must I."

Things will not happen overnight but in a few months maybe you're sat in White City or Horseferry Road or where-ever. You will look back on your time in Isleworth and wonder how you ever survived.

Remember these words as Esther said...

"There's only so much you can learn in one place
The more that I wait, the more time that I waste.

I not afraid of what I'll face but I'm afraid to stay."

Mate, get ready to jump and don't ever look back.

Let me know how things go.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So with the first picture, Juan's lunch has your blog in it which if you look at the screen has my chicken dinner which has your blog in it.

I need to take a picture of that picture with my breakfast in it. Bobby blog to the third power.

That is so great.

Timmy said...

Hey...when I sent you that pic of me shirtless in the red shorts, I didn't mean for you to put in your blog! I didn't sign a model's release. Imagine when I opened your blog and there I am at the top of this post. :-)

Bobby Vanquish said...

Auctor: Yes, your chicken picture has done the rounds. Around the world. Which is funny...

Timmy: We didn't think you were modest enough to mention it! ;-)

firstimpre55ion said...

I love the quote at the end of your post! I'm going to pinch it and put it up somewhere...likely my Myspace or Facebook...

So pardon my naievity, but where's it from?

Glad you are so full of wisdom Bobby! :D

Thanks for the quote and take care for now!

Bry

rickisimus2 said...

Auctor: this can become in a chain of pics with Bobby's Blog in it.

Bobby: the bread of those sandwiches has poppy seeds (at least they say they're poppy seeds).

Bobby Vanquish said...

fI: You big ol' mo! It's Madonna. Now hang your head in shame. Absolute shame.
Confessions On Your Saggy Ass or whatever the album's called, it's the song named "Jump".

Rick: Poppy seeds - yes, that's what I thought. And it looks yum.