Tuesday 22 April 2008

Looking up

Who travelled on the Central Line this morning?

For those who didn't manage to, there were delays to the service. So no change there, then.

However, it was the announcement, as I sat on the platform on Bond Street station, that had me a little confused.

The woman on the PA blasted; "Ladies and Gentleman. There are minor delays to the Central Line due to a shortage of trains. Otherwise all other London Underground lines are operating with a good service."

Huh? A shortage of trains?! What, did some of them phone in sick this morning?

How can there be a shortage of trains? Like one or five of them wouldn't start. Or have they run out of petrol or taken the day off?

This confused me greatly.

Just to make sure things were okay amongst the Central Line trains, I snapped this picture of the one I got on, to work.

It looks fine to me...

Actually, a shortage of trains isn't my favourite announcement on the Tube. My best usually occurs on a weekend and goes something like this:

"Ladies and Gentleman. The Central Line is suspended between Ealing Broadway and Mile End. There is no service on the Northern Line, and the Waterloo and City line is closed for maintenance. There are also delays to the Jubilee, Bakerloo, Victoria, District, and Circle lines.
Otherwise there is a good service operating on all other London Underground lines."

Uh-huh... and which lines would those be then?

And who uses the Jubilee Line often? (Okay, after this there will be no more talk of the Tube...)

Anyway, have you heard the following announcement on the Jubilee Line, recorded by some very austere sounding man, it goes;

"Thank you. For travelling. On the Jubilee Line."

Er. Yep, actually I was thinking of using my helicopter or yacht to get into the office this morning, but then I thought, hell - why don't I just choose the Jubilee Line instead?

I love that it's always littered with free newspapers and that whiney sound it makes when it leaves the station really sustains me during my journey. Why would I not want to travel on the Jubilee Line?!

Okay, okay - one last thing about the Tube.

Now I'm not paranoid but.

I think the Secret Society of Architects is onto me after I was a little dismissive of Chris The Architect.

On the way home this evening - having decided to use the Jubilee Line instead of a canal boat - look who came and stood right next to me, wearing sunglasses...

Yes, someone with building plans in their hand. I think it's the Secret London Architect enforcer with his ricin-tipped umbrella.

Luckily I managed to get off just in time. Phew.

I am going to take my paranoid weirdness off to bed now actually I think.

Okay, just one more thing about the Tube.

Isn't the impending summer fantastic? Sorry Southern Hemispherers... the weather here in the Northern Hemisphere is getting luscious.

What it means is fit guys, fresh from the sportsfield travelling on the tube in their sports kit. I like it when they do that.

So that's enough of the Tube but I can we talk architecture for one last time? I promise not to be rude.

On the contrary, actually...

Don't you think that, from certain angles, the Centre Point building looks rather pleasing?

I took this on the way home this evening, as the sun was setting against the white marble of the building. Okay, I really am now going to bed.

11 comments:

dickophile said...

you aren't going to bed. you're reading this right now aren't you?

Bobby Vanquish said...

Dick: I'm fast asleep and cannot respond to this comment now. Because my eyes are shut and I'm lying in bed with my pyjamas on. And I'm dreaming.
Shh please. Zzzzzzzz.....

dickophile said...

hahahaha. you're a nut. i haven't laughed that hard in a while. so what is up with all these late nights? are you an insomniac or just restless about the big 3-0?

Bobby Vanquish said...

Dick: I can hardly sleep if you keep talking to me!

I usually go to bed - well fuck, tonight is late but only because i left the office late. The terrible problem is that I can amble into work when I want which at the moment is usually around 10.30-ish. So I wake up at 8.30 or 9ish. I try to go to gym early in the morning but I can't be bothered. So I go in the evenings.

That's part of why I'm feeling so lost and without purpose at the moment because it's not like I even have to be up at a certain time in the morning.
But now I am going to bed to read and fall asleep. Maybe.

dickophile said...

okay fine. no more talking. i promise. im closing out the window and backing away. but i will say a boy could give you purpose. or a puppy. puppies are fun.

Timmy said...

I'd be a bit worried if I were you. I know that the Secret Society of Architects employs people to surf and read blogs and identify bloggers who make fun of their members. You might want to consider a different method of transportation for a bit and be sure to look over your shoulder at all times. I'm just saying...

Monty said...

I'd suggest a disguise - maybe some plastic surgery - so that the Secret Society of Architects won't be able to recognize you...

Hope you got some sleep last night Mr! LOL

Bobby Vanquish said...

Dick: Puppies are great to eat!

Timmy: Don't be silly. (Really?!) I am about to take the Tube so hopefully I'll make it to the other side.

Monty: I did get sleep because I've just woken up now which is good. But Monty, the dreams I had?! The worst... One about some woman who lost her legs which made me wake up in a panic. Awful. Anyway...
I am going to sing. Tralala la lalala lala.

dickophile said...

so im thinking that now in addition to the ssa peta is coming for you as well. so if you happen to meet pamela anderson anytime soon, its probably cause she's going to kill you. so run. run from pamela!

Anonymous said...

What day in June is your birthday?

Carl

Anonymous said...

What day in June is your birthday?

Carl