Saturday 12 April 2008

A letter

Dear Dale (that is your real name),

I remember you from my days at school in Cape Town. You played rugby and you were quite good academically. You were quite hot - I particularly remember that you had amazing legs.

Except you were a complete twat.

I remember you once teased me because of a Leila K CD that I'd bought.

Yeah, looking back it was a pretty awful choice of music but at the time I thought that it was quite cool.

However, you took the CD out of my locker while my back was turned and tried to show it off to get others to laugh at me.

I managed to grab it back and shove it in my locker. I think I may have told you to fuck off.

It was a moment of tension and all the other guys went "oooohhh..." as if waiting for a fight to break out. It never did.

Even though I'd saved up my pocket money to buy that CD I never listened to it again after what you did.

The funny thing is, is that I'd forgotten about it until yesterday afternoon.

I didn't recognise you at first because you've put on a bit of weight and you're wearing glasses now.

You were waiting to cross Euston Road at around 7pm last night, to walk down Upper Woburn Place. You'd obviously just got off a train at Euston Station, just as I had done.

I was stood right behind you. The first time I have seen you in about 11 years.

You never looked around but you had you done, you would have seen me staring right down your neck.

It was then that I remembered my Leila K CD and what you did.

As a bus approached I suddenly thought how poetic it would be if I were to have pushed you in front of it.

Just as your face would have connected with the front of the vehicle so I would have cooed "that's for the way you treated me all those years ago, fucker!"

Instead the green man appeared, the beeping started and we crossed the road. You turned left and I turned right.

Dale, you'll never know how close you came to being shoved under a big red London bus.

Of course I chose not to do it because you're not worth it.

You were weating tatty old Nike shoes and a rather beaten Springbok rugby jersey. That's why I noticed you in the first place.

I was crossing the road to the car park to get into my convertible.

The best revenge is happiness, wealth, money, stability and confidence.

As far as I'm concerned, I got my revenge on idiots like you ages ago.

If I ever am stood behind you again maybe I'll tap you on the shoulder and say hello.

Or maybe I'll just push you in front of the next bus, just for the hell of it.

See ya!

Bobby

14 comments:

Timmy said...

Well I'm glad you didn't throw him in front of the bus because there would have been witnesses and I doubt that you can blog from prison and then what would I do without you?

There are people from my high school days that I would love to shove in front of a bus but you know what? I doubt that they would remember what they did to me.

You summed it up really well: The best revenge is happiness, wealth, money, stability and confidence.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like somebody forgot to take his medication today...

dickophile said...

haha. here's to revenge!

Superdrewby said...

be careful of feeling superior to someone .... just because you have "things" does not mean that you are any better or worse than somoene else.

People's appearance and dess is NOT an indicator of their self worth....

Yes there are lots of peole who we all knew at school who we would love to humilate but being superior to them is about a state of mind not what you have in value...

Unknown said...

brilliant how many times I have been in this situation

tyler said...

though you seem to think you were over all the frustration and embarrassemnt of the leila cd event, you were not. that is, until you recently saw dale, thought about nurdering him and thought better of it.
many of us never have the opportunity to expiate ourselves of our childhood demons...good for you!
now you can move on at least as far as this one thing is involved.
peace to you bobby.
tyler

Bobby Vanquish said...

Timmy: I can't remember where I heard the line about the best revenge is happiness but I like it too!

Anon: Oooh catty! Throw another insult if you think you're touch enough, come on...

Drew: Yeah, one of the points is that in my way of justifying my superiority, I was being just as petty as he was being all those years ago.

Tony: It's universal man.. where you think "if only you knew!"

Tyler: Of course I've totally moved on, unless I see him again. Haha!

Anonymous said...

Dude, you said to throw another insult if I thought I was "touch" enough.

Again I win!!! Meeeowch!

I mean it was like I was playing Foose Ball with you and I didn't even knock the ball into your goal to win the point. You did one of those things where you spun the lever and your own guy knocked the ball into your own goal securing me yet another point!

2 for me. 0 for Bobby.

Game over! :)

Bobby Vanquish said...

Anonymous: Er, no it's actually 2-0 to me. You're too scaredy-pants to even provide a name.
Have another go! Come on...
Remember, when the going get touch, the touch get er...

Timmy said...

I've never understood why people hide behind the anonymous name. Either you have the balls to identify yourself or you don't.

Anonymous said...

Great stuff. I love the way all those guys from school look like crap now. I take great pleasure in seeing how miserable they all look now and how unbearable their lives seem. All the guys I know who were like that at school have put on a load of weight and seem to have lost interest in life. Poetic justice indeed.

Oh, and I had a similar situation - but with a Janet Jackson CD. I ended up in the worst/only fight I've ever had. Ended up with me only hitting once and fracturing 8 bones in my hand. So lame. Met the guy since and I could totally kick his ass now.

A, London

Bobby Vanquish said...

Timmy: Yes!

A: Oh no... I love Janet Jackson so if you want to get over it, you can borrow my Janet Jackson CDs, if you like.
I know some people go "oh, you should move on" etc. but sometimes I don't think people realise how small things can affect you so much.
And maybe, because of circumstances, you're too afraid to say anything to your mum or dad.
And then other kids do and they end up leading these well adjusted, normal lives whereas we're stull stuck with some many issues that we should have resolved years ago.
Hope your hand is completely better now though. And maybe the next time you see him, you should kick his ass. Just because! x

Anonymous said...

You clearly don't understand the rules of Foose Ball. Cuz I win. 2 to nothing. You lose! Game over.

You'll have to be faster next time if you want to win. Quick draw McGraw.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I was at boarding school. I had loads of issues to deal with but the best thing about the whole experience was that I learned to somehow ignore the knocks.

I also reckon that I live a more stable, adjusted life than any of those twats at school. I mean, just imagine marrying a woman you've known for years, getting a job in accounting in Leeds, having god-ugly children and spending the rest of your life living in boring, provincial middle-classdom for the rest of your life - always wondering what could have been. They all look 10 years older than me too, and I just turned 30.

Oh I'd love to beat the cr@p out of that guy. Think I just might if I ever see him again. What fun!

A, London