Wednesday 16 January 2008

Yes, I'm ready to jump

It's shortly after 1am and I've just pushed the send button.

Five years ago tomorrow I got onto an airplane and travelled to London. I had £800 and a suitcase packed with clothes and CVs.

I cannot believe it was five years ago. It feels like yesterday but it feels like an age too.

The plan was that London would always be an intermediary.

It was always supposed to be a stepping stone to something bigger and better.

Although I don't like her I have the lyrics to Madonna's Jump in my head.

"There's only so much you can learn in one place
The more that I wait
The more time that I waste"

My plan was that I would finally settle in the United States.

Tonight, on the eve of my being here for five years, I've just sent three applications off for vacancies in America; two in LA and one in Chicago.

While I had only planned to be here for around five years, what I hadn't anticipated was that I would fall in love with London like I have.

But I have dreams and I have ambitions and those seem to lead a path to the United States.

So in a way this is the start of the long good-bye to London.

I feel exactly the same emotions as I do when I decided to finally leave Cape Town. It's a crushing sadness but intense excitement.

I'm not going anywhere for the moment but in the huge supertanker that is my life, I have just given notice to the engine room that we've come to the part in our journey where we're going to start changing course.

You start with the small steps - firing off a few CVs to see who bites.

And so it starts here...


Are you ready to jump? Yes, I'm ready to jump.

14 comments:

David said...

C'mon c'mon c'mon c'mon go west!

Put DC on your shortlist of places to settle, too!

Anonymous said...

I'm moving to LA in a four months, so I can relate to how excited you must be. Aren't you in media/entertainment? I would think New York would be a natural choice for that kind of thing...

Anyway, good luck with your applications/the move!

Anonymous said...

How exciting! You should be commended for your ambition and verve Bobby. It's easy to become complacent and to settle into a groove but where's the fun in that I guess?

W said...

Hmm, I trust you've visited the US???? As great as the coasts are (i have lived on both of them for a few months each) I wouldnt consider them the nadir of human achievement. But hey, horses for course !?!?!

Splicer said...

You're comming to America? We have no idea what we're in for!

Just make sure you come hear legally...

Good Luck!

Edd said...

lucky fella, theres nothing like upping sticks and moving far away as you know. America should be interesting, Ive always said fancied spending a year or so in New York, and I will in good time. I believe that everyone should experience london, but leave before it makes them Jaded as it often does.

PS. Coincidence or what, im leaving the UK quite soon aswell. Im moving to spain late sprin/early summer (but sssshhh, its still a secret 4 now)

Anonymous said...

Chicago is my neck of the woods.

Bring London P with you!

Carl

London Preppy said...

I hope you're ready for renewed body issues in a new gay human pool where steroids and tans are compulsory...

ANDRE said...

Since everyone in the blogworld seem ready to move to another continent, I'm jumping on this bandwagon and I announce I'm moving to Japan! AH! So I'll be able to wear this:

http://tanuki77.files.wordpress.com/2006/09/harajuku31.jpg

Crossing fingers for your job hunt!

Anonymous said...

Bobby moving to the USA.

Well, there goes the country. I'm outta here!

Bobby Vanquish said...

Bolt: I dunno why but Washington freaked me out a little. I really can't explain it. I will have to visit you there but I don't know about living there.

Lex: Yeah - I am guessing it will end up being LA because that's where my skills would be most wanted. Good luck with your move there. LA is fucked - which why I loved it.
The Chicago thing is just a "dip toe in water" but I like Chicago. To be honest I really don't like New York. I find it too big and too much humanity. If that makes sense. You also in the meedja??

Wayne: When you get stuck in a groove you start repeating. Like a needle on a record stuck in a groove. Not good.

W: My sister lives in San Fran so I suspect it may end up being the West Coast. I'm not too enamoured with the East Coast so - I know it's a sweeping statement but...

Splicer: Of course I'm going to do it legally - which is why it's going to take bloody ages to do. The plan is to be settled in the Land of Brave sometime before June 2009. So there's still a lot of time.

Edd.d: Good luck in Spain - I think once you've been in the UK for too long you just want anywhere where there's sun... Sun, I tell ya, sun!

Carl: So I trust you'll give my tour guide. London P is apparently going to Sydney.

London P: Speak of the devil! I haven't stressed about this yet. But I will. I think this weekend I need to have a freak-out about it. (Remember, if you can't beat them, join them)

Andrea: It would fit you well. And I like the dainty parasole. Emigrating is the new black, you know.

Anon: Yes baby - I'm coming to the USA. So lock up all the boys. The ones I don't fuck, I'll eat.

firstimpre55ion said...

SERIOUSLY?! Do tell Bobby...

Anonymous said...

When is London P going to Australia and why has he decided to go there all of a sudden?

Carl

Anonymous said...

Chicago very often pleasantly surprises many people. The parts between the coasts are a huge mystery to the rest of the world and worth a hard look. Good luck with the exciting process.