Saturday 26 January 2008

Single pint

It's just after 2am,

I got to work at around 7am this morning and worked, as I have done for the last three days, like a bitch.

At around 10-ish I sneaked out of the office and wandered into Soho to meet a friend for a drink. While there I also smoked two cigarettes.

The first sip of the beer I ordered was heaven, like syrup from the Gods. Cold, complex, honey and beautiful.

It was the first lager / boozer / alcoholic drink I'd had this year. 26 days is the longest I have ever gone, as an adult, without booze.

Tonight I finally succumbed.

But I finished the beer, realising I needed to get back to the office and stubbed out the cigarette.

On the way back I bought a huge bottle of water and drank the whole thing.

I thought that the alcohol I had was difficult to drink. After a while it tasted dark.

It gave me terrible wind and I burped and burped - to the point of it becoming embarrassing.

Suddenly I just felt so depressed (yet surely it should be the other way around?)

I didn't enjoy the beer like I used to.
In the old days, I would drink a beer as a way to pass the time between glasses of wine.
In my heyday I could easily polish off about four beers, a bottle of champagne and at least two bottles of wine and still be able to remember going to bed.

Tonight I had one beer and I felt weighed down, sluggish and sick.

Perhaps over the last month I completely zapped by alcohol appetite.

A month ago I could booze it up with the best of whoever was out there. Right now, I've had one and I feel terrible.

This is called growing up? Is this called becoming an adult?

Without being able to go out and drink myself into oblivion, what am I going to do?

I feel like a huge part of me has died and I don't know why I am mourning the loss of something that I know was bad for me.

In theory I should be pleased that my appetite for booze has gone. In reality it feels like something has vanished that's not coming back. I cannot, just cannot, work out why I think this a bad thing.

5 comments:

S said...

"... I would drink a beer as a way to pass the time between glasses of wine."

I say the same thing about cocaine and heroin.

seahorse said...

shame on you, 26 days? mind you, u beat lohan, spears and winehouse lol

i will finally pack it in the day after my 30th.. so i say..

Bobby Vanquish said...

Steve: That must cost you a bloody fortune... and I hope you're disposing of those needles correctly!

Seahorse: Yeah - how old are you now? 32?

Frontier Psychiatrist said...

It always surprises me how quickly tolerance goes.

If I don't drink for a week or two, I have to build it back up again.

seahorse said...

voetsek!....

28, then 29 in 4 weeks, making u the grandma around us hehe

omg, went to watch boy george last night at the shaw theatre near euston station, was good little blast from the past, will blog some pics later, i think i brought the average age down to 56years haha