Monday 28 January 2008

Banging your bookshelf

Do you ever get that yearning for Ikea?

After I trashed my room on Monday this terrible urge developed.

While tidying up I realised that one of the corners was in desperate need of an Aneboda.

For the uninitiated an Aneboda is Ikea-code for a chest of drawers.

Now, this is this most important thing... I have nothing to put in these drawers, I have no need for more furniture - all I needed was to visit the Ikea and purchase forty pound's worth of shite.

The Ikea nearest me (Neasden Ikea) is apparently the busiest Ikea in the Northern Hemisphere (or something) and arriving on Saturday night at 9pm, I can understand why.

You park your car in this vast car park in North London on a Saturday night, walk into the store and it is heaving with DIY shoppers. You cannot move for the thousands of people, like a wave, who're stomping through the shop grabbing cheap candles and discount laundry baskets.

In warehouse aisle 44 I find my Aneboda and go to pay for it, however I am accosted by Ikea Food.

This is where they flog cheap Swedish imported food at bookcase prices...!?

Now, you probably don't know this but in South Africa, the Afrikaans word for shit / drippy brown stuff is "kak."

So this made me laff:

Drippy Ikea apple shitIn South Africa this kinda translates into "drippy apple shit."

Finally I get home at around midnight with my drawers.

Now, anyone who's been to Ikea knows that when you've bought flatpack, it has to be assembled asap.

Thus, here we are at around half-past midnight on Sunday morning.

I hauled out the hammer and the twisty-turney thing to start assembling my purchase.

Just to let you know that the Aneboda requires some hammering. Actually, it requires a lot of hammering which wakes one of our neighbours up at around 1.30am.

Ding, dong!

"There's a terrible banging noise coming from your flat?"

Bobby (putting down the hammer to answer the door): Really? I can't hear anything. How odd... are you sure it isn't the people next door to us?

Neighbour: Hmm, maybe... oh well . Er, sorry to bother.

Bobby: Yes. I have to be up at 6am tomorrow morning and you've woken up me but that's okay. Bother me repeatedly, I can handle it.

Neighbour: I'm really sorry, I just thought that er... maybe... um, sorry to disturb you.

Bobby: I have to go back to bed, good-bye.

2am and after repeated smashing, hammering and knockabout, the drawers are completed.

I have nothing to put in them, so...

It's nearly 20 days until Cape Town and I am salivating. Warm weather, beaches and sand. That's all that matters now.

Sand in the toes, reading lazy books on the beach and the sand in your crack.

Yeah, I can deal with that.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could put your Gold/Flesh Coloured Aussiebum swim briefs in their own draw for the nex 20 days?

Just don't blame me if you forget them and have to go nude on the beach.

Bobby Vanquish said...

I have a South African drawer. Third one down. In it - well I shall show you, the next time I snap a photo.
Fleet, I will TOTALLY blame you when I have to appear on the beach nekkid!!!!!
x x

Pete said...

An Ikea addiction... interesting. To me, Ikea is the one place that makes me glad to be gay: I will never be part of one of those impoverished young straight couples that go there to buy My First Double Bed of compressed sawdust.

Anonymous said...

Kaka means cake in swedish. Appel means Apple.
Hence we get Apple cake. But you already figured that out no? :D

Anonymous said...

I'd buy a bunch of cool undies and put them in the drawers.

Carl

S said...

Mmmm... I'm hungry. Damn those Swedes and their apple kaka.

Victor said...

The crowds gave me a panic attack the first time I visited the Ikea superstore in Rhodes (a suburb of Sydney)supposedly their biggest store in the southern hemisphere. Perhaps every Ikea store is the biggest in some hemisphere or other!

Bobby Vanquish said...

Pete: Ikea is like crack cocaine actually. Cheap, nasty and very addictive. Right now I am dreaming of going back. I want more soft furnishing and crappy lighting.

Anon: It was a joke. :-D

Carl: Good idea - well I have have undies to put in the drawers when the aussieBum ones arrive.

Steven: Yum yum - apple kaka too...!

Victor: Haha - yeah the largest Ikea store in the southern hemisphere is in Melbourne, Sydney and Caracas.
It really is a hellish place.

seahorse said...

shit man, i just came online to waffle on about IKEA to you and here u go and blog about it today.

what i was gonna say was that as much as i hate to admit it, i am leaving in 1 hour to go to that place, yeah the one u cheap crackheads hang out at.
i'm desperate for these blinds which they stock only because its a 4th of the price compared to peter jones....
so take a lunch break and come buy me a cuppa tea hahaha