Sunday 20 January 2008

Over and over

I just sat and watched The Devil Wears Prada again.

Watching it is like hell because it just makes me want nice stuff.

It makes me want to go out and Visa my way up Bond Street and Amex the entire length of Piccadilly.

That's not what's bothering me though.

What's bothering me is the massive jar of Quality Streets behind me that I have been munching. I've had about 7 of the fucking things and I can feel my waist expanding.

I still haven't had a drop to drink since the last day of 2007.

Replacing alcohol with chocolate is not an option. This cannot happen.

Fuckwank - I have 30 days before I'm on the beach in Cape Town, parading amongst the gays.

Shit shit shit.

And do you know something else?

This is what I say to my housemate:

"Have you seen my keys, I'm sure I left them on the kitchen counter?"

However, this is what I want to say to her:

"You fucken idiot, you've picked up my keys again, what the fuck have you done with them? This is like the ga-zillionth time you've done it and I am sick-to-fucking-death of having to put up the charade of looking them when I know they're in your handbag or under your bed or whatever. Fucksake."

Instead I smile and carry on looking them while grinding my teeth.

Shit, I shouldn't grind my teeth.

Instead I think I'm going to drag my sorry big fat ass to bed.

Tomorrow I am starting on the anabolics and the thermogenics to try and lose the last of my spare tyre.

Do you know what I used to do in my Very Fat days? (Incidentally: I now consider to be in the Fat-ish days)

When I was very fat I used to hate the way I looked so much that I used to take a towel and wrap it around my stomach and then strap it in place with a belt. I would then wear this under my pyjamas when going to bed.

My theory was that if your stomach was sucked in while you sleep, somehow muscles would develop.

I would never be able to sleep properly because firstly the belt buckle would constantly wake me up and secondly because my stomach would start to cramp so badly.

Because my dad raced cars and motorbikes he would have kidney belts which I used to steal to wear under my clothes to keep my stomach in.

It's the most upsetting thing in the world to look into the mirror and be repulsed by what you see.

Fat. Wobbly, ugly, loose and saggy fat.

Fat that you can feel shake when you run. A layer of fat that coats your stomach and that you can feel on your lower back.

And then you look at yourself and you hate yourself so your brain tells you that eating will make things better.

Eating makes you feel worse so you drink but that makes you drunk so you start crying and decide to throw the whole lot up.

In the toilet there is wine and food and spit and tears. You go bed in the hope that in the morning you'll be thin.

But you wake up and you can feel your stomach, which hasn't gone away. So you reach for the toast and chocolate spread.

9 comments:

Splicer said...

You sound like you're wound a little tight, I hope you're alright, or will be soon.

ANDRE said...

there are so many things i can relate to in this post. thanls for writing this, it really meant a lot.

by the way, my dad was a race car driver too...

S said...

Yummy. Chocolate spread. Nutella, anyone? No, wait. That's hazelnut. Never mind...

Anonymous said...

I know I say this pretty much every time I write a comment and you are probably sick to death of it, but you have no idea how refreshing/inspiring/encouraging it is to hear you talk to openly, honestly, and with so much clarity and perspective about your past, whether it's about weight loss or saunas or whatever. Especially from the point of view of other equally messed up younger people like myself, who are still going through this kind of thing.

Incidentally, is your old blog still up and around somewhere? would love to read it..

Gabriel said...

sweetheart, you are so hard on yourself! its okay to give in to a drink or a couple of sweets once in a while :)

seahorse said...

questioooon?

does yr flatmate read your blog? haha

Anonymous said...

Been reading your blog--how did you get rid of your fat? Did you take something? Eat something--not eat something? How did you get over the hurdle of starting to get thin?

Anonymous said...

Why are gay men always at the gym?

While lesbians reject body fascism, gay men embrace it with zeal.

Gay men are more likely to be unhappy with their bodies than straight men and are more likely to have an eating disorder. They also idealise slightly underweight bodies.........

This article was in the Daily Mail today... I believe that whilst dieting etc is healthy, our genes determine our body shape.

Try not to kill yourself over weight and body beautiful issues, because ultimately you'll never find yourself....

And that is so important being having fun and living..

enjoy chocs a beer or wine.. remember one life we have.. x x

Bobby Vanquish said...

Splicer: Thanks - I am fine... just sometimes life (especially in London) can become so frustrating that you just feel like the whole world's working against you. I know it isn't you it feels like it's sapping your soul away. I hate it.

Andrea: I know - a Lancia Integrale! and it's a pleasure. It's always amusing that one things that you're feelings are unique but that the self-loathing is actually quite common.

Steven: Smearing chocolate biscuits in warmed Nutella. Ohmygod. Bliss. (at 10,000 calories a mouthful).

Lex: Of course I am never sick of sincere compliments and I guess that - you know - I was alone and it felt like I was in this complete shit-hole all by myself and there were no such thing as blogs. I guess a lot of this is to say to guys who're battling with weight or just feelings of low self-esteem or whatever, "this is my pathetic story and know that you're not alone because I have been there too." I am not special and if I can pull myself out of it then you can too. You are not alone and when you feel like all the world is on top of you and you look at your stomach and it's still hanging out - just know that i was there too and it will come right. Just DO NOT GIVE UP.
And sorry - the other blog's gone...

Gabriel: I know - but sometimes torturing yourself seems the easier option.

seahorse: My housemate doesn't read my blog - I am pretty sure of it.

Anon: Please keep checking because I want to tell it - but it's a bit longer than I can mention here.

Wiz: I know we only live once and I kinda see it the other way around. We only have one life and I don't want to reach 50 and be all on the saggy beach, looking at fit guys and going "god, I really wish I'd looked like that when i was younger."
Do it now - before it's too late, is how I see it.
And yeah - maybe a beer would do me / you / all of us some good! x