Thursday 3 January 2008

Hitting the gay skid

Today has allowed me to do some rigorous testing. This is, as you know, because of my Offer Which You Can't Refuse.

It is an all-expenses paid trip to South Africa, the only proviso is that you have to make your way there in my luggage.

With this in mind I have therefore been testing out my luggage to check reliability, durability and space.

Based on the evidence I have gathered, I think we're going to have to have another think about the size restriction.

Here are the results of my vigorous testing in a strict and controlled environment.

This first picture shows you (the smuggled, as modeled by me) assuming the most effective position.

This is pose we may have to adopt at the Virgin Atlantic check-in desk. All of these tests are based on the tried and trused assumption that if you can't see the airline crew, then they can't see you.

In this picture the optimism of our plan wanes slightly. As you can see - I am quite clearly visible in the suitcase.

I was thinking that the way we could get around this would be for me to buy a Burberry Check suitcase and then for you to dress in Burberry, thus integrating with the equipment seamlessly.

This photo above is purely to illustrate how ridiculous it would be if we were to try and smuggle you out in my hand luggage.

So, after the seriousness of This Offer we turn to something far more frivolous.
Note: irony.

A guy who I went to school with (hence him being 29 years old) has just come out of the closet. He announced it on his Facebook page (tacky, I know).

This is both brave and stupid. It is brave because well, for obvious reasons, but it is stupid too.

Stupid because he was seriously nasty to a lot of guys at school who were gay. And now he looks a bit silly.

He has genuinely come out because my friend saw him in Cape Town yesterday and confirmed that he is indeed now gay. Or gay-ish i.e. finds men attractive and wants to sleep with them.

I want to send him a message and don't really know what to say.

What does one say?

"Congratulations" or "oi, you fag - you were a pretty rude sonovabitch to some quite harmless people."

Maybe it's not my place to say those things, it's for the people he insulted to say them.

I was lucky and privileged (there's that ironic sarcasm again) to have gone to a private all-boys school so having guys come thundering out the closet is an annual event. Like the traditional rolling of the cheese in Wiltshire.

It's funny because each guy who's done it over the age of 25 has followed this exact pattern:

1/ Announce they're gay
2/ Hit the club / drug / Gaydar / sauna scene like a kid in a candy shop releasing years of pent-up homogay feelings
3/ Regret having done everything they did in point 2

We're going to call my new gay classmate Craig.

I am pretty sure that I will see Craig in hot pants, a leather harness and a feather boa, leading the pride-parade in Cape Town in February. Less than six weeks after announcing to the world that he's a homo.

It's encouraging and depressing in equal measure.

Encouraging because at least Craig can now be who he wants to be and sort his life out.

Depressing because he's just about to hit the gay "skid" and after all the drugs, bathhouse sex and Gaydar meets he's going to wake up one morning and think "I can't believe that this is what being gay is all about."

I won't mention this to him in the message though.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I have 48 days to lose enough weight to get into that bag and buy a complete Burburry kit. The last thing I can nick from a lower-middle class friend who thinks that having burburry pjs makes him seem rich, and not a twat.

Everyone goes through the gay skids don't they? If they didn't then they are liars!

Anonymous said...

I am seriously afraid you've gone round the bend...

as for the classmate, I suggest you just send him an e-mail congratulating him, and see if a conversation starts from that point. Maybe after this you could pass on a few pearls of gay wisdom, or even call him out on his brutish ways...

Gabriel said...

happy new year babe! same story for me. i had craigs among the boys who hated fags in my high school. but i was pretty forgiving. just told everyone that he had an STD.

Bobby Vanquish said...

Oliver: Start sticking your finger down your throat. And nicking your friend's clothes. Self-harming and theft - god this is turning into a marvellous holiday actually. And we haven't even got to Heathrow.

Splicer: I lost it a long time ago.
I sent him a message and I hope he responds. God help - we need material, you know.
I won't remind him of what an arsehole he was on Facebook - I'l wait to do that in person so that I can see his reaction.

Anonymous said...

VIRGIN!! and there I was going to look out for you and see if we couldn't get you a better seat up front (on a proper airline). Just hope they call the strike off!

Bobby Vanquish said...

Gabriel: Happy new year to you too! I don't think I can spread that this Craig has had an STD because I've yet to find evidence that he has had inappropriate relations with another man yet.

Anon: What's your name (make up a name, if you like!)?
Now - if you're suggesting that you could get me an upgrade on BA then I am going to SERIOUSLY hate you.
Every time I have flown BA (which is a lot - I am silver Executive Club) I have managed to blag an upgrade. Basically 61K on the 747 has become the seat with my name on.
This time i thought there's no way I would fluke another Club World upgrade so instead of flying BA I decided to switch to Virgin because their Premium Economy is better. So please don't say that had I booked with BA you'd have been able to bump me up to the front. Please, say it ain't so! Say. It. Ain't. So.

Superdrewby said...

Me thinks it's best to ignore the recently out of the closet thugs who beat you up at school.
Yeah I understand the psychology of it all and how they feel the need to push their 'hetersexualism' whilst in the closet. But to me that is a lack of character and unless they have a major chnage of character, once a spinless blullish thug always a spineless bullish thug.

Or maybe I am bitter and twisted?

Bobby Vanquish said...

Drewby: I was fine at school - it wasn't me who was beaten up by the "Craigs". I was a tough fucker and wankers never messed with me.
I don't think you're bitter and twisted, I just think you're realistic.
I have contacted Craig via Facebook so see what he's like - maybe he's still a twat. Perhaps now that he's come out is slightly nicer. We're going to have to see!

Anonymous said...

If steps one, two and three are wrong.

Then what would be a better step one, two and three in your opinion?

Step one being announcing he is gay of course...

If he is going to regret step two, what would be a better step two and step three in your opinion?

Carl

S said...

I'm pretty sure I can fit into your carryall. I'm flexible and the bulemia seems to be working.

Bobby Vanquish said...

Carl: I don't think step 2 and 3 are wrong, I just think they're sadly typical.
And what can done to stop step 2 happening? God knows - though I think it's more society that's to blame than the individual. If young guys were given the space to come out and be comfortable from a young age, I don't think they would have this huge gay epiphany where their lives centre around making up for the years they lost to being in the closet.

Steven: Great. For added benefit you could sign up to pilates, yoga and join a contortionist workshop at the circus. Not that I want you to go out of your way, or anything...

W said...

maybe i'm horrifically shallow and dreadful - but i had a bloody fabulous time on the gay skids. well mostly and certainly more fun than i would hqve had otherwise!

Anonymous said...

But what is a better alternative for step two in your opinion?

If it's typical and you sound a little down on number two, what would be a better route to go?

Dating?

Carl

ANDRE said...

ops, I was a Craig. But only during middle school. Then I changed gender and identity.

Bobby Vanquish said...

CSS: This is actually the comment I wanted to read - thanks for making it. For a moment I was feeling like a joykiller. But it's not all bad news, I know what you mean but you just find some people who don't know when to stop. And it seems recently outed gays fall into this category.

Carl: I reckon - and I find myself thinking that I sound like an old woman by saying this but moderation. Everything in moderation. I am the world's world when it comes to heeding my own advice but when I look back on the things I got up to I wish that I had a "moderation" button. I didn't.

Andrea: I was going to tell you off for being a Craig but there's something else! Maybe this got lost in translation :-) but... changed gender?
Tell me more...

WillySmith said...

You're delightfully bitter. I like it.