Sunday 13 January 2008

I am Nora

I come here to confess my sins. Forgive me, for I have done it again.

A gay who both I and my flatmate know was having a birthday lunch today at a well-known restaurant on Old Compton Street.

Yes, the restaurant, not the cafe near G-A-Y.

A few weeks ago, when I got the invite, I had said I would attend, my flatmate was going to as well. As the day crept closer so I began to regret having said yes.

That restaurant is just not my cup of Mojito. It's just tired and - I don't like it.

So on Friday I made this elaborate excuse that I had been called into work unexpectedly (I work in an industry where this can easily happen) and hoped that this would be enough to get me out of going.

I said I had to start at 2pm so since they were meeting at 1pm I could stop in for a glass of orange and lemonade which I did.

Thankfully, just as the conversation turned to the Selfridges sale and Kylie so I glanced at my watch.

"Oops! Gotta go to work, guys..."

I'm at the end of Old Compton Street when I realise that after their birthday lunch they're probably going to go back to our flat a.k.a. "Let's all go back to Bobby and Anna's place because a/ it's close, b/ they have good furnishings and c/ they have a guest loo."

Hence this rules me out being able to go home and hide incase everyone pitches up after lunch.

I then realise that there's nothing I can do except wander the streets of London for a few hours. After about 20 minutes of ambling around I get really bored so I decide that there's only one thing to do, to kill time.

Yes, I have come into the office.

I have the TV on, a printer at my disposal and a 17litre bottle of water from the cooler.

Now you may be wondering why I didn't take one of the following options instead:
1/ Find another friend to hang out with
2/ Go to the cinema / gym / spend Sunday evening in a sauna
3/ Sit on the Circle line all evening going around in circles reading a book

And these are the reasons why:
1/ Once you've told one lie to one group of people it's a bit bad to start compounding it. i.e. "I had tea with Bobby last weekend." "Oh really, he said he had to work" etc.
Or what about "somebody pick-pocketed me." "What, while you were in the office?"
Or what about my housemate phones me "I've locked myself out , what time are you coming home and why does it sound like you're in the middle of Oxford Street?"

2/ Nothing at the movies that I really want to see (except for Charlie's War), went to gym this morning and spending Sunday evening wasting time at a sauna is even worse than having to endure Ballends.

3/ There were delays.

Right now I feel like Nora Nofriends sitting here hiding. You know what it's like though - sometimes you really cannot be bothered.

I always used to say that one luxury in life is not having to do anything you don't want to do.

I just didn't realise that sometimes this would mean having to hide out in the office on a Sunday night with nothing to do.

Maybe I should go and do something useful like photocopy my cock or spunk in the coffee creamer.

11 comments:

seahorse said...

1) ummm, u hve a friend, ie, the net, a PDA, coffee shops, museums, libraries, sauna's etc etc...PLENTY 2 FUCKING DO SUNSHINE.

2) 'p.s. i love you' is showing, um, maybe not....

3) well, the more delays the better, keep going round and round killing those hours u miserable git.

problems are there to be solved, deal wif it, all the more challengingor we would just be really boring...of hoe?

Anonymous said...

Well you could have popped back to your place, and popped on to gaydar to find some...thing to do.

Or just got drunk in a bar somewhere.

Bobby Vanquish said...

Seahorse: Eloquence, insight and understanding. All the one comment. You're so sweet.
Now get with it sunshine.

Oliver: I dunno what's worse; a Gaydar shag on a Sunday night or hanging around in an empty sauna.
(I'd be interested to know...)
And of course I don't drink... so that's ruled out then.

W said...

i hate that place to. Havent been in about 2 years. In fact i have a rant about it should anybody dare utter its name in my presence.

As for making excuses. not done that in a while either i find just not turning up works adequately enough. Those friends who are important to me have long dealt with the fact i'm a miserable xxxx. those that arent so important, well i dont really care too much what they think.

MadeInScotland said...

i refuse to comment any more on your hoi-polioi of prolific blogging.

ahoj

and that is it!

Bobby Vanquish said...

W: See the problem is that I couldn't not have turned up because my housemate was going. So what do you do?
And yeah, I'm trying to think the last time I was there - it must have been sometime in 2006?!

Bobby Vanquish said...

Czech: My hoipolloi of what!? ?
BTW: Did you know that hoipolloi is a Greek word? I thought it was an English thing (what with the class system etc.) but who'd have thought.

seahorse said...

yes u emmygrant u... u would know about a class system..

Bobby Vanquish said...

Seahorse: It's 'immigrant'. Now take your champagne and get back into your box.

W said...

so what if your housemate turns up?? unless of course you are siamese twins

Anonymous said...

Simple, turn up for a short while, say you have to go to work. Go to 'work' (wander around the shops, get something to eat while reading a book) then go home and after a little while, text them to say work stuff wasn't such an emergency as they'd made out, that you're just home and ask where they are now, coz you MIGHT rejoin. Of course, you never will and you're covered in case they end up at yours.