Tuesday 29 January 2008

Moet, my friend

Oh yes, I flew off the wagon so spectacularly yesterday.

Like a comet blazing across the midnight sky, I then crashed and burned.

Yesterday it was 28 days since I stopped drinking so in my mind I'd decided that I could allow myself a massive blow-out.

28 days is how long addicts have to stay clean for or something, isn't it?

Anyway - so yesterday I met a friend for some lunch and had two bottles of cider.

(FYI to all Seth Efrikens: If you liked Savannah Cider did you know that you can now get it in Nandos?) Anyway...

After our lunch we went for a walk around the neighbourhood until he had to meet his other mates in Central London and I had to go to the bank.

In the stilted silence of the bank queue I realised I was actually a bit tipsy.

"Who the hell gives a fuck", I thought. "Let's go mental..."

Here is a timeline of what happens next:

17:00-ish: Finish at bank and on the way home buy a can of San Miguel.

17:10-ish: Arrive home having drunk the San Miguel en route.

17:45-ish: Decide to write yesterday's post about the Ikea. Now quite wobbly from the San Miguel I manage to push the right keys to get that story out.

18.10-ish: Push 'publish' on blog and think "job, well done..." Turn around and see bottle of Moet that is just begging to be drunk.

18.15-ish: Pop! Fizz, pour and drink...

And drink while listening to music and downloading songs and drink more and get more and more pissed.

19.20-ish: Realise that I have drank a whole bottle of champagne and am now absolutely shit-faced. I remember not being able to stand up properly.

Blank.

23.55: Wake up shortly before midnight in my clothes on my bedroom floor. My contact lenses are dry and stuck to my eyes and I am cold.

Feel like utter and complete crap.

Change into pyjamas and try to sleep but can't. Head feels like shit, cold and slightly sober I lie in bed tossing and turning.

1am, 2am, 3am, 4am... finally I think I must have nodded off at around 4.30am.

8.30am, Tuesday morning. Wake up still feeling like utter crap. Try and eat some breakfast but stomach just aches.

Go to work and while standing on an over-crowded Jubilee Line, swear to myself that I will never binge like that again.

Tonight get home and see the empty bottle of Moet on the lounge floor.

It still smells of champagne - that beautiful crisp, gold biscuit flavour.

I yearn for more bubbly but there isn't another bottle around to be opened. I can't be bothered to go to the shops to get one.

I would become an alcoholic you know, if I just weren't so bloody lazy sometimes.

11 comments:

MadeInScotland said...

Yup. we all know what happens 28Days Later.

Horrible, horrible.

ahoj

firstimpre55ion said...

Sounds like you're making up for lost time huh Bobby? :)

I haven't drank really as much as I used to all month...I am really worried for my birthday...I might be totally inebriated before 10PM rolls around that night...

NOT. GOOD.

Stay well and you have to show us photos of your ripped bod before you to down to Kaptun! :D

Bry

Bobby Vanquish said...

Czech: I don't know what happens after 28 days but I don't like! Not one drop!

fi: Hey stranger - be careful. You should be drinking constantly because then at least you keep your tolerance levels up. And yes - there are photos are on the way, I promise...

MadeInScotland said...

hint: rapid zombie

ahoj

Anonymous said...

You drank a bottle of Moet ALONE? Whilst I can see doing that if I were depressed and had a bottle of bourbon, and I didn't have to get up in the morning, I cannot see doing it without some serious additional activities involving a significant other or significant number of others. It's so totally depressing you did it all by your lonesome...giving you a hug!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure whether it was a good thing you were home alone drinking champers, or is this better than being out causing trouble while slaughtered.

The champagne reminds me of my worst hangover ever.

While I was waiting for my housemates to come back the end of the first year of uni, so we could go out and celebrate end of exams I got an early start.

Started with 3/4 of a bottle of cheap champagne (think it may have even been a supermarket own brand)

Then proceeded onto a small bottle of cider that came in a bottle that looked like a lightbulb.

When the housemates came back we went on tequila shooters. Think I had 5 of the buggers - all rather generous doubles - no one explained to me as a Tequila virgin that you get the effect half hour later.

We went down to the local pub a 20 minute walk away - where I had one sip of a pint - ran out of the pub and vomitted on the pavement.

After this was hosed down I then rolled around in the detrious on the floor. There were two male nurses in the pub who called an ambulance - the paramedics decided I was just about safe, and didnt need my stomach pumping.

This was when the police showed up - got a ride home face down on the floor of a police van and hauled into bed.

The next morning was needless to say not good.

Bobby I wouldn't have taken you as a pyjama wearer?

seahorse said...

yes yes we know about savannah at nandos...what we dont like is the british price for nandos haha...

nothing nicer than a savannah on a hot day.

i went to the one on gloucester road last year wif a friend and they didnt even have lemon in stock so we had to run to tesco express to buy some!!! for the cider ofcourse..u would fink cooking wif chicken they wouldve stockked lemon.. of hoe?

W said...

i am dissapointed. Moet for gods sake. thats trashy

Edd said...

We have a Tipsy Txt service where I live, txt this company and they deliver your fizz within 30 minutes (for a £10 fee), probably explains why I drink far too much.

Superdrewby said...

My God

don't you have a home delivery service for alcohol in London?

If not I am thinking I should start a new business, Wanna be my first customer?

Seriously though you should ALWAYS keep your wine cellar stocked with a selection of moderately good (for the dolts who don't appreciate good champagne) to excellent vintage champagne for yourself in the house.

What happens if friends happen to drop by for a chat and you have nothing to serve them with your tasty canapes (and if you say you don't have tasty canapes at hand alays I think you need to start looking after your self better!)

ANDRE said...

This morning I noticed a bottle of champagne hidden in a kitchen cabinet (I guess it was mum's secret stash) and I thought of you!