Wednesday 21 November 2007

Running down the gym

So London Preppy came to assess my gym which you probably may have read about.

I thought it would be a little fun - and it's kinda weird too now that I think about it.

Someone who I've never met before, for a moment, comes to get a first-hand glimpse into my life while I'm not there.

A lot of my time is spent at the gym, about an average of three days a week for the last three years. In sense it means a lot to me.

You may have seen these pictures before, you may have not, but they're of me.

They were photographed from an old mobile phone so they're a little grainy but what isn't difficult to decifer is my waist.

You can also see the total lack of pectoral development and basically, I just look a complete mess.

They were taken in January 2005, shortly after New Year when, at the time, I was going through a pretty rocky period in life.

I had a job I seriously hated and couldn't do, I drank excessively and somehow managed, in the previous year, to rack up a massive debt.

I flew first class return to South Africa, bought laptops and CDs and clothes and ate out and got drunk on champagne most nights.

I was running away from myself, trying to drown my sorrows in booze and then shopping on the bank's money to try and make myself feel better. In short, I was in a very bad place when I took those pictures.

The next morning I decided to do something about it and signed up for the gym. It is gym I am still go to.

It is now November 2007. That debt (£12,000 / $24,000 at the time) is all but cleared. You know that I now probably drink once a week if that.

And my waistline?

Well, you can see in my profile picture - the one on the right of me standing in front of the Union flag - just how much I've changed.

All I'll say to you is that that picture is nearly six months old.

People criticise and they say; "oh, you're so gay because you're always at the gym" or "you're such a body fascist because you spend so much time there". Usually I just nod, smile and change the subject.

I never say to them that it actually nearly saved me.

Stick around and tomorrow I'll post a few pictures, to show you just how much things have changed.

It's not body-facism, it's not "gay". It's about just doing it. I know that sounds cliched but it's the lesson I've learnt, through blood, tears and a lot of sweat.

9 comments:

MadeInScotland said...

Bob

I need to be accurate in my language, but I just saw the first "Holidays are coming" coke ad of the season, so I'm distracted and excited...

But was there an issue about hotter sex? I may not have accurate recollection, but even if there was, too right.

I sense a happier, free-er Bobby as you now are. But, Bob, when u find your man (it *will* happen), I'm sure you will relax and find a less challenging happy zone.

Dracula is so vivid. So worth reading. Richer than Mary's FS.

ahoj

S said...

My weight loss is due to cocaine and bulemia.

Anonymous said...

Bobby, can I just say how inspiring you are? For people like myself who are just coming to terms with themselves, posts like this and the 'no list is good' (not to mention so many others) really mean a lot. I know that sounds strange to say about a random blog, but it's actually true. Please keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bobby,

don't listen to those who run you down for going to the gym. All I would say is make sure you keep it all in perspective and don't sacrifice your life to it. Being in shape is good, but have a life to go with it. I am not saying you don't, but both need time spent on them.
x

ANDRE said...

Yeah, I do agree with the anonymous comment above. Thanks for sharing this, I know how it feels like to look back and see that if you haven't made some decisions (signing up to a gym, or in my case moving to another country or stop hanging out with a certain group of people) your life may have been much worse. You are such an inspiration!

London Preppy said...

The lesson I've learnt is through earth, wind and fire

Gabriel said...

good work! i usually joke that my addiction to gym is about me dealing with gay body image issues. but the reality is it challenges me to deal with some of the major changes i've going through in life and gives me a sense of accomplishment and focus. i am there four days a week, sometimes five. and it just makes me feel great about life!

GB said...

About ten years ago BV, I used to look like your Jan 2005 pics. I didn't even realise how unattractive I was, somehow I'd settled into my relationship with my boyfriend number 1 and let myself go. As a result of the gym, I saw a similar improvement in physique to the one that you've had. But if I hadn't started going to the gym, perhaps my relationship with boyfriend number 1 wouldn't have broken down!

GB xxx

Bobby Vanquish said...

Czech: I have to say that I am a lot happier - even in the year or so that I've been doing this. It's been like therapy. In the old unhappy days I would care what people think. Sharing my deepest secrets has liberated me, in a way.
Now I don't care.

Steve: Coke (I nearly typed cock...!) and bulimia is so the old way to lose weight. It's now all about laxatives and smokes. Apparently.

Anon: I don't know who you are but I'm so chuffed - if I can get one other person to find the path, then pouring out my heart is all worth it. Go for it!. And seriously - if I can do it, then anyone can. I know it's obvious but if you can do it, do it NOW!

Anon 2: Remember this blog is a tiny snapshot of who I am. It sounds like I am gym obsessed but if I were to write just about the time I spent on Oxford Street, you would think I lived there!

London P: What, like the 70s disco band? I'm being facetious. You are going to have to explain this, please.
I would try to apply my mind but the shoutey lady's notched it up a gear!

Andrea: You know I mean it when I say that the feeling is mutual.

Gabriel: Yeah, I know - gym has got me to face up to quite a lot. And it does lift the self esteem and it does make you feel great - and from there you can confront and slay the demons with confidence.
I know what you mean.

GB: Does it sound really harsh if I say that what matters is your own happiness? Maybe I'm too harsh but I could never allow my happiness to be dependent on how my partner feels. Is that really selfish? And if it broke down because you were feeling better about yourself then what kind of place were you in in first instance? If it feels comfortable then maybe that's because it's a habit. And habits are mostly bad.

Bob xxx