Thursday 22 November 2007

The lights are out

So I says to ya, "look at me, I was fat and unhappy and now I'm looking okay, if you don't believe me, I'll post a pic for you."

I should have known that having said that, it would completely jinx the whole thing.

Arriving home tonight, the usual parking space is buried under a mound of earth about the size of a small van. There is an EDF energy truck in the road and none of the street lamps are working.

One of the guys in the lumo jackets says I shouldn't expect the lights to be on anytime this evening.

Yes, I am sat in a poxy internet cafe run by a bunch of robed Somalian dissidents. It seems the only way they know how to communicate is by shouting.

According to the poster above my head, I can phone India, Pakistan and Nigeria for just 5p a minute.

Since I don't know anyone in those countries I can't take up the offer. Obviously I'm gutted about this.

Earlier at the gym I was desperate to spot Mr Blobby - the man I am supposed to be marrying. He ain't there and neither is Rory.

And then the battery on my iPod runs out. Bollocks. I give up, shower and leave.

Do you know, I kinda had a premonition that I was going to have a bad day, when I left for work this morning.

You know how some people throw out things like old TVs and printers and leave them on the pavement? This morning I had to walk around an abandoned toilet that someone had tossed out.

I should have known that that wasn't a good sign.

Now I hate to beg but... listen - the lights at home aren't going to be on until tomorrow sometime. Of course, I can't spend an evening in the dark on my own.

If anyone has a space in a spare bedroom, or their own bed that they'd be willing to give up for one night only, I promise not to fart.

Failing that, I may have to resurrect my Gaydar account, to find someone who's looking for an overnighter. If that doesn't work I could go to the sauna in Vauxhall and hire a cabin for the night.

So that photo I promised of me is going to have to wait for another day.

Right now there's a woman in a robe in one of the phonebooths along the wall down at the bottom of this internet cafe shouting like crazy into the phone.

I don't know why she's even bothering to use the phone. I bet if they all shut up in Senegal they could probably hear her from here.

At least she'd save about 7p a minute.

4 comments:

seahorse said...

oh bobby bobby bobby boo.....like being back in Africa aint it.

Well i did offer my hotel room recently but u opted out...hehe.

Shall i send an Argos voucher for a gas heater? What can Ikea help wif?

Bobby Vanquish said...

Seahorse: aaah you're too sweet. I know you offered me your hotel room key which was so gracious of you. It's not that I have anything against Travelodge per se but it was in Brixton. South of the river, sweety - I'm sorry but I just can't do.

(Apologies to anyone south of the river, it was a cheap shot, I know.)

TheDreamer said...

Bobby, I would, but the sort of boyfriend is coming round for dinner in 21 minutes. He has first dibs on the bedspace.

Anonymous said...

You could have come to USA to stay with me as the exchange rate on the Euro is so high right now, but then again Britain isn't on the Euro if I remember correctly.

Whenever they talk about the British Pound Cake there, it reminds me of a Pound cake we have here in the states.

Carl