Saturday 3 November 2007

Bad follow-through

I'm so fucken irritated I don't know whether to cry or kick the door. And a seriously vicious hangover isn't helping.

I'm at the gym and there's this really fit guy and we glance at each other constantly. About 3 months ago he walked past me and said "hey, mate" and he sounded American / Canadian.

I stupidly did what I always do which is looked the other way and gave a disinterested grunt in return.

Whenever I see him at the gym there is serious eye-catching going on like earlier today.

Back in the changeroom I think 'this is fucking silly' and I reach into my bag and realise that my book isn't there so I go to the front desk to get a piece of paper.

I come back into the changeroom and he is getting dressed nearby. I then realise that I don't have a pen either so I go back to the front desk to get a pen.

On the piece of paper I write "I have never done this, I promise, but if you're interested, I am too: 07738 XXX XXX".

I come back and he's doing his hair in the mirror and I'm standing near him and I have the note in my pocket but I just cannot bring myself to give it to him.

What happens if he says no? What happens if he isn't actually interested? How weird will it be if he says no and we still have to see each other in the gym?

Instead of handing him the paper I bottle it. I completely miss the opportunity and don't reach into my jacket.

He leaves and at a distance I follow him out. He turns left and I turn right. About ten paces down I glance back and see that he's glanced around too.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. I'm really irritated with myself for not having plucked up the courage to give him the note.

I know he's interested because he's said hello. He's always glancing at me. I really want him. He has a sixpack and a very pinchable bum.

From now on I am going to live at the gym to try and bump into him. The next time I see him - whatever happens - I am going to hand him the slip of paper.

I just hope that he doesn't meet the man of his dreams tonight because that's me. Actually, maybe I should start with hello instead of a note.

I've made a space for his shoes under my bed. I am not going to let lose this one. It's a minor setback not a tragedy. Fuck.

6 comments:

Gabriel said...

fuck. i think we have the same problem when it comes to fit men. i say lose the note and say hello. keep the note idea for another time - like when you want to ask him to marry you.

dbh said...

I'm a bit of a romantic, I would try and make conversation and begin to feel at ease with him. Be postive and joyful - with a touch of classy flirt. mwah x

ANDRE said...

I can't believe that I missed so many of your wonderful gym stories in the past month..

you wrote: "What happens if he says no? What happens if he isn't actually interested?" Have you ever considered the fact that maybe you haven't handed the note to him bc you were scared of the fact that he might have said yes?

I'm usually more scared of guys accepting rather then rejecting me.. But we all know I do have issues :)

Bobby Vanquish said...

Gabriel and daze: Yeah, now that I think about it - the note idea is very lame. I went to gym this evening (Sunday) and he wasn't there which was a bit irritating but I soldiered on with chest and back nonetheless.

Andre: Yeah - maybe I am worried he might be interested. because then I just think that it will be sweet and we'll go out for dinner a few times and hopefully we'll shag and he'll wake up in my bed and then we'll hold hands when we go to see a movie together and then I'll see someone hotter and the spark will fizzle a bit and then he'll get bored because i've lost interest and we'll part and ...
Goddamit it's sometimes fucken difficult being this cynical i tell ya!

Anonymous said...

What ever happened the the guy from university that you wanted to track down and tell him how you felt back then?

Just curious. I don't ever remember you telling how that turned out or if you even found him. I thought that was interesting.

Carl

Tales of the City said...

This happened to me once.. As in I asked a guy - left him a message. Next time he came, chatted and told me he was straight. His girlfriend was an instructor! Doh. Still he was lovely about it and we chat all the time now. And yes he gave me the gay vibe.. so far as to wink at me one day.