Saturday 22 September 2007

Like A Shit

Last weekend I posted a vote and asked you what what story you wanted to read the most - because I had a few up my sleeve.

After seven solid hours of voting the tale about a depressing episode at a gay sauna triumphed and thus it was.

The second most-wanted post was "the story of why I loathe Madonna after she was rude to me..."

Now read on...

So, I think I've mentioned that I work in a building that's pretty well-known for what gets made in it.

Due to the industry, there's always a celebrity on the premises and chauffeured limos parked out the front.

Do you remember the tsunami in Asia that struck on Boxing Day 2004? Well, at the beginning of 2005 the US network NBC held a "Tsunami Aid" concert to raise money for those affected.

Because Esther insists on pretending that somehow she's English (complete with ridiculous Bronx-meets-English countryside accent) she performed 'Imagine' live on the concert via satellite from London - from the building where I work.

I had heard she was in there because if you speak to the right people, word gets around. It was a Saturday night and I was working late.

I went to the viewing booth of the studio she was in and watched her attempting to murder the John Lennon song. Everytime she sang the words "and the world will be as one", she stuck her finger up in the air. Geddit?

Anyway, because of the time differences it meant that she was performing the song "live" in the States at around 1am London time.

Up until then I had always been such a huge fan of Esther.

I'd bought all her albums, I used to think she was the best. Seriously - in my room at the time I had a 6ft poster of the cover of American Life.

In my bedroom back in South Africa I have a massive poster of Ray of Light too. I was an impressionable young gay growing up in deepest-darkest Africa, how could I not have been attracted / in awe of her?

So it's 1am and I'm in the viewing booth at work when I could have been at home but I'm watching Madonna sing.

I was the only person there, sat there for nearly four hours watching her.

When the song and her link ended I suddenly had a brainwave. I ran back to the office - got a notebook and pen and made my way to the car park out the front.

At 1am in an office building in West London there's not much going on so it's pretty obvious who belongs to the big black tinted-windowed BMW.

The driver was waiting outside the car, spotted me and noticed my notebook & pen.

"She won't sign anything I promise you. You're wasting your time."

"But, I'm the only one stood here, it's 1am...? Surely she would just scribble her name, I've been such a fan of hers - since I can remember."

"I've been working for her for years, mate. She's not interested you lot anymore."

"Hmmm...". I figure the driver's only saying this because there must always be autograph hunters, and using the "I'm on your side" angle is a great way to get rid of pesky fans.

"Well, I have nothing to do so I'll just wait. I work here so I'm not trespassing or anything."

And we wait. And wait. It's about 1.30am, just me and Esther's driver, waiting.

Suddenly his phone rings once. He walks to the back of the car, opens the boot then back around to get in and start the engine.

And there she is, with what seems to be an assistant walking towards me. Fuck me.

I move back a bit but she is now about 4 feet from me. The woman, who I have idolised since I was about 11 years old is moving past me, so close I could have reaced out and touched her.

It's late - just me there, with my paper and Madonna. No bodyguards, no-one to move me away. I figure, just this once, despite what her driver said, maybe she'll do it.

Shaking, I reach out my paper and desperately found the words to say "Madonna - hullo - would you mind?"

She looked at me, now about to get into the car and saw the piece of paper and the pen. I can't describe the look she gave me.

It said "you worthless fucking piece of goddam shit - if you really think that I am going to stoop to your shit-stinking arse-wipe life and sign a fucken piece of paper for you - you must be joking, you motley cunt...".

She got into the BMW herself and slammed the door herself, as hard as she could. The car sped off, out of the parking lot.

And there I stood, alone on a cold January evening in a parking lot with my unmarked paper and pen.

The woman who I'd spent my all pocket money on as a child, whose songs I knew all the lyrics too had just completely, in one simple gesture, shat on my entire world.

The look she gave me stills sticks in my head.

I got home unable to speak. I ripped down the American Life poster, took all her albums and threw them into a shoebox.

All the enjoyment I'd ever found in her evaporated. Fuck you too.

If she had any decency she would have said "No, I'm sorry". Or even just "sorry." Had she smiled and shook her head I would have been cool.

She chose to be as rude as possible. Who sets out to be intentionally rude to someone who's done absolutely nothing in return?

The experience has taught me two things.

Firstly to never wait for an autograph again.

Secondly that no matter who you are, no matter from what standing in life, it is always right to treat people with respect. No matter what.

Esther can prance around Israel bleating as much as she likes about Kabbalah. She can adopt as many black babies as she wants. The fact is that people aren't going to like her more. And it's not going to make her a better person at all.

Growing up in South Africa and having worked in the media there, I have been privileged to have met Nelson Mandela in Cape Town on a number of occasions.

The high-point was being chosen as one of a handful of young journalists to be invited to Parliament to watch his last address as President of South Africa.

Everytime I've met him he's always been friendly, warm and has smiled. The funny thing about Mandela is that, ironically, he's so friendly that it always seems like he's pretending to know who you are.

Contrast that with the way Esther behaved on that Saturday night in January 2005.

And do you know what? What goes around, comes around.

From the Daily Mail, 23rd April 2007: "Madonna was supposed to see Nelson Mandela in South Africa after her visit to Malawi, but Mandela's people told her last week that Mandela was too busy to see her."

17 comments:

S said...

She doesn't hate you. She hates all her fans.

Ever since the beginning of her career, she's never done autographs. That's the reason why her autograph is worth a fortune.

Not bad for a scribble on a piece of paper, huh?

Bobby Vanquish said...

Steve: Yeah, I'd heard stories about how much she loathes her fans but it still really hurt. I did absolutely nothing, I smiled and maybe even said please.

And because the situation was so surreal - nearly 2am, just her and her assistant, I thought she might have at least smiled gracefully and shook her head. Instead she chose to be nasty.

That's why her albums are in an old shoebox. I'm not going even dignify the situation by throwing them in the bin because that would suggest I care more than I do. (Even though nearly three years later it still irritates me - slightly)

chabang said...

You're a wood-lane whore, why on earth didn't you tell me that before!

MadeInScotland said...

I've never been a fan of Madonna. Except her acting. It gives me endless pleasure...I just love the special technique she uses-closing her eyes when she delivers a line, and opening them once she's done.

ahoj

Bobby Vanquish said...

Chabang: What the hell is a Wood Lane whore? Did you just make that up?

Czech: You can't be a fan of her movies? Do you mean Shanghai Surprise and Who's That Girl? They're the best. Scorsese and Bergman didn't have anything on these gems. Silver-screen legenda. Except the bits where she can't act - which is everytime she appears.

London Preppy said...

Oh Bobby. You should know better than that. Of course it sounds even worse than anyone would expect but a very important rule is: never meet somebody you admire too much! It will always end up in disappointment. (Fair enough, I'm repeating, in this case it was way over the top)

There's this writer that I have a passing interest in called Bret Easton Ellis. When I went to see a lecture he did in London a couple of years ago, I had the chance to meet him afterwards, because he was actually signing books. I did not stay. I left as soon as the lecture thing finished. Any intereaction with him would just add a human elemnent and I would probably be disappointed and might think less of his work (the real reason why I like him). So I saved myself by avoiding to meet him.

Then the guy got really creepy and got a tattoo with my name on his arm, but let;s not even get into that.

Bobby Vanquish said...

LP: I know the rules, I really do - but it was a lapse. You've inspired me because I am going to write about the time I met...

Anyway - I didn't know you had an interest in Easton Ellis?! Wow, you learn something new every day. He's quite good.

(I am trying to be funny but I really can't find the joke...I'm useless - anyway!)

But when you read His novels do you have to cut little round holes in your mask or do you just put the audio book on? The devil is in the details...

dbh said...

oh dear, i think that was a shitty thing she did - i dont think i could put my albums in a shoebox for solidarity with you, im not strong enough, sorry bobby.

But what goes around comes around - kudos to mandela.

mwah xx

Anonymous said...

wow she really is a piece of work isn't she??

chabang said...

you've obviously not been to the blue peter greenhouse after 5:30 then :-p

Bobby Vanquish said...

daze: it's okay if you don't want to follow suit. But when she's rude to you too, don't say I didn't warn you.

anthony: you have no idea mate! and for someone who once sang about hanky panky, she really doesn't have a right to be vicious to others.

chabang: obviously this means I am going to have to check it out. i didn't know there was a greenhouse in the garden!? i presume i'll see you there tomorrow evening at 5?

Brechi said...

LP is right...you can't meet your idols. But thanks for posting that story, it was interesting. You do know you have gotten to be one of my favorite pages to read ;)

Anonymous said...

I had a simalar experience with a person I was excited to meet who use to be on a tv show and was now a singer. I took her photo and she gave me a look like I was papparazzi. I can never forget the look and it ruined it for me. I don't listen to her music or even watch her stuff any longer.

I think you are taking a chance if you meet anyone you idolize.

As far as Madonna goes. I use to listen to her music too. However, I also admit that she has no talent. She is nothing more than marketing hype that went into overdrive. Michael Jackson is odd, but has real talent. She has a rhapsy voice and can't write. Needs to have someone else write them for her. She tried to revive her career by going the Howard Stern Shock value route with her book on Sex and the video with the guy on the cross who she kissed etc. She had to do this to make the almighty buck anyway she could because she was washed up.

Terrible singer, terrible person, as far as I'm concerned. The person who adopts the African child who is barely scraping by has done something. The wealthy person who does it and has tons of helpers to take care of them hasn't done nearly as much.

Bobby Vanquish said...

Brechi: Thanks for the compliments - I'm glad we've er, met!?

Anonymous (and I have to point out that I didn't write that comment) but I couldn't agree more. I always used to think that she was untalented but entertaining nonetheless. To me she's now just untalented and nasty. And if the fruits of that are millions in the bank and a private jet, then she can have it all. I don't care (or bitter, obviously).

Anonymous said...

Dude, more on Madonna. Some after thoughts.

If you followed her as much as you said, you probably have watched biographies on tv about her etc. These bio's tell of her beginnings in the business and none of them are flattering. This one club she worked at paid nothing, she had no money and lived in a flop house and paid rent by the week and she would sneak out in the middle of the night down the fire escape so she could get out of the rent. She had what is termed as unbridled enthusiasm and was a person with no talent who ended up doing everything she could be the center of the spot light. Even in the clubs.

Media happened to her and created her. Talent happened to people who were real artists.

Her searchings for Kabala are a fruitless attempt to find peace she doesn't have inside. I'd bet this woman is terribly unhappy inside no matter what she says.

She tries to fill the void she has by adopting these children to feel like a good person. ... because everyone knows that a good person would do something like that.

On a more balanced note. I think her search for happiness describes the seach we all look for. We just aren't as screwed up as she is.

Edd said...

maybe the bitch cant write, she was educated in America after all.

Bobby Vanquish said...

Anon: Thanks - I'm glad you feel as worked up as I do about her! We think people who're obssessed with stuff like collecting model trains are slighty odd. If someone says if you "I'm obssessed with red carpets" you'd think that's pretty weird. However, someone like Madonna's completely consumed and obssessed with fame and we write that off as "ambitious". She's as barking as the people who horde plastic bags and empty jars.

Edd.d: Yeah, she probably can't spell either.