Monday 17 September 2007

Bathhouse Bobby

In a jacuzzi at a bathhouse on a Friday night in Cape Town, during the winter of 2001 is probably where you'd have found me.

The venue's website has pictures of the facility during the glorious summer at the end of the year.

Now, imagine the scene on a cold winter's evening. Rain beating down on the windows and washing out the city lights visible through the sliding doors.

It was definitely a Friday night because in those days all my Fridays would be the exactly the same.

I'd finish work at around 5pm, make my way to our regular bar to meet friends, sink far too many Martinis then stuff my way through dinner finally ending up in the bathhouse nearby.

I'd walk around a bit in my towel, cruise a bit, realise that I wasn't going to find anything so I'd go and lie down in one of the cabins.

Usually at around 4am I'd wake up, cold, still wet and a bit drunk. Thankfully every time the door was still locked.

In the background I'd hear other cabin doors closing and on busy Friday nights, the sound of anonymous thighs slapping against other anonymous thighs.

On the scale of the depressing times in my life - those moments of coming to while lying on a plastic mattress in a place that stank of poppers and sweat must rate at the bottom. Or close to it.

So there I was sat on this typical Friday night, in the jacuzzi (because at the time I weighed 242lbs / 110 kgs and the water could hide the size of your stomach - that's why you never see fit guys in a jacuzzi at saunas) watching the rain beat against the glass.

In the foam with me was an even larger middle-aged man with steamed-up glasses and hairy shoulders.

A few minutes later we were joined by a third guy - as the following tune came on...



In my opinion, not only was the boy very obviously under 18 but he was almost probably rent too because a very stilted conversation ensued. This had definitely been set up.

The man complimented the young lad - who must have been about 17 or 18 - as only leering old men do and the boy smiled back.

Then the man moved along to the boy and they started kissing. The boy didn't close his eyes or touch the man back.

The man kissed the boy all over and soon, under the water, his hand moved onto my leg. And then it moved to my crotch.

For I while I just sat motionless while the man jerked me off as the rest of him attended to the boy. I was drunk so I just sat still.

Had I an ounce of self-esteem I'd have moved his hand or at best got out. I had none so I didn't.

The lad then pulled himself out of the water to sit on the edge, while the man's mouth remain clamped between his legs.

The old guy having to move, pulled his hand away from me.

So there I sat, sweating, drunk and disgusted at myself, in a jacuzzi staring out of a window with rain on the one side and condensation on the other as this old man set about degrading this young boy.

I could see the city lights and imagined my friends having dinner without me, after I'd made some pathetic excuse to leave because I couldn't help my behaviour.

I saw my parents sitting at home - they had loved and cared me for me - and here I was, sat in a cesspool with some lecherous old man who was having his way with a boy who was clearly as unhappy as I was.

In that moment it felt like my soul had left my body. I felt cheap, ugly, fat and worthless.

I decided to get out but my towel had fallen onto the floor and was wet. I stumbled to the shower, back to the lockeroom and put my clothes on wet, then to the car.

My memories are still so vivid because I so upset that I can recall it as if it was yesterday.

I haven't been back in that jacuzzi since that horrible night. I felt degenerate and worthless in those days. I would look into the mirror and loathe what I saw.

Nowadays though, when I look into the mirror I'm okay with what I see. I took this in the gym this morning.

I don't go to saunas anymore. All I'd see is a crowd of people who're as empty as I felt.

At least now if I did decide to go to a sauna, at least I know that I wouldn't have to hide my stomach under the water.

I'm okay now, thank God.

Edit
On Friday, March 7 2008 I was back in Cape Town and returned to the Hot House. You can read about it here if you like
.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with the classy sun loungers and the natural sunlight -I think that must be a SA thing - in Europe or the states its all boarded up windows and pvc benches (i've only ever been to the one in Canada - and I didn't feel any better about myself - they didn't even have a jacuzzi to hide in)

Why did you go back in March given how it made you feel last time - even if you don't about have to worry about playing Aeriel in the jacuzzi?

Bobby Vanquish said...

fleetmonkey: I went back in March because I was on holiday.
It felt like going back to visit a spot where you'd had a car accident or something. I just wanted to go and see if it was still there or, six years later, what it looked like. I'm glad I did because it was really great to feel that sense of having moved on. In those days I would never tell anyone about what I was getting up to - now I'll shall it with everyone who'll listen. Closure is a great thing.

The Persian said...

Never been to a sauna, sounds like a pretty interesting situation.

You have come a long way, I think your chest looks pretty amazing.


:)

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean - i'm suffering with anxiety at the minute - and everything I read says go back and get over difficult places. Very good for the soul especially if you have dealt with it before you even get there.

Were they still playing Savage Garden during your visit?

WillySmith said...

Hey thats a pretty touching story on many levels. I've never been to a bathhouse and thanks to your confirmation of my expectations of how being in one would make me feel, I know that I never have to.

Cheers!

Gabriel said...

that was very personal story. thanks for sharing that. glad to know you have found clarity in your life. god knows we all need a bathhouse episode to wake us up!

Edd said...

I can associate with this to a degree. Ive placed myself in some similarly unsavoury places. Last time was when I went to sex club in Amsterdam, and I have to say I felt horrible being there. So much so I got so drunk Im surprised I can remember anything let alone every single last detail, smell and sound. I desperatly wanted to leave, but the thought of being alone was worse that the pain caused by being surrounded by people as empty, lonely and desperate as myself. Is not a place I want to visit again.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've pulled yourself out of it. I've had a few friends over the years that just didn't have the power to do that and now they are basket cases or even dead. I never "got" saunas however I have been to the local sexclub (without doing what you're thinking) because the drinks are dirt cheap and it's the only place open after 3 on a Sunday.
BTW nice progress. You seem to have developped all over.

WillySmith said...

What's with you people? Empty lonely and desperate is meant to be fun. Geeeese, live a little!

Jon said...

I agree with gabriel: thanks for sharing this personal story.

Question though, what else besides the weight loss/muscle gain changed your perception about yourself?

Also, how much do you think body image plays into guys feeling "as empty as [you] felt"?

London Preppy said...

I've had one experience in a sauna. I went there soon after I came out with a guy I was seeing at the time. Not to meet anyone, but to see what the whole thing is like. Even though I often feel hollow, I've never felt as hollow as that before or since. It is just an attrocious environment. I have spoken to friends about saunas and a few have said that after they've been, they've gone back home and cried. It's just so depressing!

MadeInScotland said...

wow-the 6-pack is really showing. Well done.

I have a friend (a good, honest friend) who from time to time frequents saunas. We have talked about this, self esteem etc. He is also closeted. For him, going to the sauna is nothing more than a physical release. I think he would take a different view from your own, which is of course very personal. He enjoys sex, he finds it easily and accessibly in a sauna . He gets prime shags there. Sometimes he takes them home, and sees them again. I guess for him, he sees it in a different light, and it works for him.

Bobby Vanquish said...

Firstly thanks for the comments.

I enjoy sharing what no-one else in the world knows - maybe cause it's an interesting read but also because there's something strangely satisfying about sharing your inner secrets with the world. I'm glad that you can relate and understand. I've been through some pretty tough times so there are stories aplenty.

However...

Persian: A sauna is a great place if you want to go to have sex and can divorce yourself from you body and are happy to parade around as a piece of meat. Otherwise it's a heartless, souless and very unhappy place.

fleetmonkey: It wasn't Savage Garden but Darren Hayes solo. The tune still depresses me.

Willysmith: Don't rule it out. Go, you may enjoy it at the time, but walking to the car on the way out, you'll probably hate yourself for having been. Feeling totally hollow is an uneasy feeling. That's what it is.

Gabriel: Sharing personal stories with the world is strangely liberating. It brings a sense of closure because you got it out of your system.

Edd.D: This is a really frank - thank you for sharing! When I was in Amsterdam I walked through De Wallen and felt a tide of depressing washing over me. I don't know if I could cope with a sex club.

Oliver: Thanks for the compliments. I don't think I know - do you live in London? There is something particularly degrading in having to sit while others around you have sex, I agree.

Jon C: Nice one. Don't get me started on body issues... okay I will. Seriously mate - it was a long walk in the night and I'm glad I can now talk about it. I reckon this is worth a post. Thanks for the idea.

LP: It's horrible and hollow, you're right. I've only cried once having left a venue - and that was while walking to Southwark Tube on a Sunday afternoon. It happened in April 2004. ManBar's the word. I think I'm going to have to share this story too.

Czech: Yeah, I agree - if you want to go to a sauna and can divorce yourself from your self-esteem and have anonymous sex with other guys then there's nothing wrong with it. But I think it has to catch up with you in the end. You're not human if it doesn't chip a little off your self-esteem.

Jon said...

Well... whatever the case, I'm real glad to read that you've moved on and are doing better (physically and emotionally).

Anonymous said...

Nope in France. Not that far away but still a long distance from 24 hour service.

Anonymous said...

sauna once - never, ever, ever again, it scared the living shite outta me. Perhaps because it was in manchester...?