Wednesday 12 September 2007

Just did it

Czech said that someone had found his site because they Google'd "who is the real Bobby Vanquish?"

Someone else I've come to know said that they were bored with their life and wanted to make a change.

This is for both of them...

Up until 2003 I was living in Cape Town. I like to think that it was marvellous but had it really been, I wouldn't have wanted the change.

I had a good job, a pretty swish car, a great circle of friends... yadda yadda - by other people's standards - which they constantly reminded me about - it was brilliant.

However, all the time I had a niggling feeling that there was something better for me somewhere else in the world.

I like to think that London found me but it was probably the other way around.

In no time I found myself on a South African Airways plane to Heathrow on 17 January 2003. I had £1,200 and a suitcase full of CVs.

I can remember the flight like it was yesterday. I remember arriving at Heathrow as an adult - without my parents.

From having my own flat in Cape Town at 26 years old with a parking space and good lighting, I went to sleeping on friends' couches.

I got my first job at a call-centre in Finsbury Park to earn some money. I had to sell shite jewellery to old women.

For the next two months, by day I had to endure pissed-out old birds on the phone while at night I wrote and mailed CVs. I cried in the toilet at work a lot.

The volume of CVs and letters I sent out is contained in files that are difficult to hold because they're so thick.

Finally I got an interview with a company I wanted to work for. They offered me a job with a £17,000 salary.

I took it, worked it, grabbed it and after about a year left - with the experience for something better.

Four years later I am earning triple that, working for a firm that is credited around the world as being the greatest at what it does.

I had never worked in TV and film before but it's what I always wanted to do. I didn't give up and until I got what I wanted.

Yeah, at times it was shit. Yeah, I wanted to go back to Cape Town but I look back now and can't imagine it any differently.

I now look forward to going back to Cape Town on holiday and spending three weeks on the beach. That would never have happened if I'd stayed.

Rejection lettersYep, the piles of paperwork, letters and applications I saved from the time I was pursuing my dream all have one thing in common...

...they're all filed under 'rejected'.

There are only three letters in the whole pile that start with the words "congratulations, we have pleasure in offering you..."

So that's a little of who I am. Take it or leave it. But whatever you want to do - if you want to change your life - start changing it now.

And by the way - phoning old grannys is the worst job I've ever had to do. Can it get any worse? I don't think I got off lightly. I know there's someone out there who's had a worse job than that.

At the time, one of the guys I was sharing a house with had a job in Acton where he had to pack CDs into the cardboard sleeves for the free newspaper giveaways. Now that's shit.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

from the second person you're refering to in the beginning)

Bobby Vanquish said...

Anon: It's a pleasure. Remember that whatever you choose to do, do it with gusto.
And if you can - do it with a smile too. You're never fully dressed without one...

Anonymous said...

Thanks, this was a great post. I know what you mean, I changed my life once, a few years ago. I know the sacrifices and the despair, and I know the satisfaction.

Still, now that I am satisfied, I feel the need to change again... And I am just as scared as the fisrt time.

Reading your story reminded me that I can do it. Again.

MadeInScotland said...

oh my god... i read half the post, before I had to post this...You are Joan Rivers. I love the jewellery! Happy new year

Bobby Vanquish said...

Bonjour Fielin,

You're right - it's the despair and then the satisfaction that makes it worthwhile. Hindsight really is a luxury.

I also think that I'm ready for a change - and the great thing is that I look back - and I realise that, if I did it then, there's nothing stopping me from doing it again.

Over the next few months I am also going to put myself back in the uncomfortable seat - because I need to move onwards and upwards. But I like your point - "it's the view from the top that counts..."

Czech: Me? Joan Rivers? Yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay. You found me out!... I know I should be quietly contemplating...but
Shanah tovah to you too

Eat the Love said...

I'm undergoing a change right now - having just left my job of 4 1/2 years. Scary, but it's time. I'm fearful and hopeful at the same time, while I look for something new....

Worse job ever was my friend Calvin - he spent a summer in college working for a collection agency at a hospital. His job was calling terminally ill patients telling them they owed money. Every third call, when he asked for the patient, he would be told (usually by a totally emotional widow or family survivor) that the person was dead.

How he stuck that job out the entire summer is beyond me.

thanks for the post. it was just what i needed to read.

Gabriel said...

we've lived through the same story in life. left singapore for sydney at 29yo with no job and after lots of rejections, worked in a call centre for a week. got a real job offer in PR and stayed for a year before moving onto bigger things. so its right to say you are responsible for your life, fellow traveller!

Anonymous said...

HELLO

GREAT WORDS

KISSES

HAIRYBEARS
http://hairybears.blogspot.com/

Sh@ney said...

Babe you know, for a lot of people, those lower paid, less mentally stimulating jobs are a means to an end & what ever work we do, we do it for a number of reasons.... Like what makes us happy, our capabilities, strengths, goals...A few years back I had a job I absolutely hated, yet the money was awesome, the job was easy. But I left, to take a MUCH lower paid job, which I absolutely love...So psare a thought to those who just mean to survive or need to by any means...For those who have the opportunity to make change, yes I agree go & do it... hugs my friend xoxox

ANDRE said...

In the "worst job ever" category I might add what I did 1 year ago:

I had to drive by myself a huge truck for a total of 1,000km on traffic jammed highways with an oversized load (please not that I've never drove anything bigger than a new beetle). It was nightshift and it was foggy. In order not to fall asleep I had to bite hard the inside of my cheeks 'til they were bleeding. I cried the 90% of the time and quit after 2 days of work.

Great post btw, I found it very inspiring.

Anonymous said...

I have a great job that I love and have been doing it for years now.

But, when I first graduated from college, I got a job at a major seafood chain as a manager. One of the bands around a lobsters claw came undone and it clawed another one and that left a foam in the tank that could kill all of them.

So, it now had to be cleaned. Another manager decided to "teach me a lesson" and made me crawl into the tank and walk around in it while cleaing it out. I had lobsters crawling all over me. This was "dangerous" actually as if the bands come undone they can easily take a finer off.

I had no desire to work with people that acted like this, so, I left. Bad pay, bad people, bad hours, etc. Thinking I would make things better, I took a job at a bank. I took an entry level job in collections and repossesions until something else in the bank opened up. I remember having to go take a tv set away from a little old lady who's husband died and she just got out of the hospital from having stomach surgery due to cancer. I also remember breaking down and crying as I had to take a families van away from them on Christmas Eve none-the-less.

I repoed a lot of people's vehicles that were hard luck cases. Most were not, but some were. That is what made it hard. I knew that could be me at any time.

At that time, I had to work this job as I was dead broke with $50,000 owed on college loans.

Oh, yeah. I'm really happy that I found a good job that I love with great pay now.

What a difference having a good job makes.