Wednesday 19 September 2007

A problem shared

Posting my experience at the sauna was a very surreal experience because I haven't told anyone about it before. It's odd to share something so personal with the whole world.

It's always strangely addictive - and, as always, thank you again for listening.

It was shortly after I turned 21 until I left South Africa at 25 years old that my life spun completely out of control.

Looking back on it now I can laugh at some of the things I did like, one night I was at a party and got bored, was absolutely shit-faced so of course decided to drive home.

I didn't recall what I'd done until the next morning when I realised that I'd driven all the way back to my parents house and parked on the front lawn.

The worst of it was that all the way down the side of the car, from the driver's window towards the boot, was a trail of vomit.

Obviously while driving fast down the motorway I'd stuck my head out of the window to be sick and hadn't quite made it clear of the car.

Looking back too I also have to look up to heaven and thank God that I'm still alive.

I had a horrific car accident, again partly because I was drunk, thankfully the South African police were too thick to breathalyse me. The car that I was in was so badly damaged you couldn't tell what make of car it was.

I smashed it so hard that it had to be put on the back of a truck and moved because it couldn't be towed. I had to climb out of the boot because none of the doors would open.

When I was back in South Africa in March this year, nearly five years after it happened, I visited the spot where it occurred and there are still gouges in the tarmac.

I remember using someone's mobile, a passer-by, to call my dad who came and had his camera in the car at the time.

There are photos of the scene which I still have difficulty looking at but I'll get over it to share them.

When I get round to telling this story I'll show you the injuries too.

But listen, I'm not going to be some pious cunt about the whole thing - how I was bad but learnt so now I am good. Sometimes my life still derails spectacularly - albeit momentarily.

At a family wedding earlier this year my dad took this photo after my sister and I had been out on the lash. I'd passed out drunk on a couch in the hotel foyer.

It's not really how you should be treating a hired car.

So I'm going to lie back on the recliner and begin to let it all come out.

At least this way I know that I'm going to save a packet on therapists' bills when I skid into my midlife crisis at 40!

7 comments:

firstimpre55ion said...

Bobby!!!

I don't know if you saw on my blog, but my car just got totalled on Monday morning when I was nearly at work! *sigh* oh well...

I'm glad to see you're sharing your life story. It's great to see you've picked yourself up from those days long ago. I can sense the huge drive you had to change your life from that story. Definitely can tell it was a sobering experience.

And hey, stop being such a stranger you wanker! :P Hope you are well...

BTW, loved that video of you waiting for the train back from south London! LOL

-Bry

P.S. My parents were over there in London the last few days. I think it was today they headed to Paris. I was thinking to myself too bad I didn't go, I would have got to hang out with the most awesomest Londoner I know! ;) But unfortunately, I can't stand my parents whilst on vacation...

S said...

I'll be the designated driver next time. Just make sure to keep the window open in case you have to puke.

Gabriel said...

that will be a hundred dollars please.

ANDRE said...

Reading this blog is like seeing my life in a mirror.. scary but conforting at the same time ;)

Bobby Vanquish said...

fI: There are loads more stories to tell! I just need to find the strength to tell a lot of them. I don't know where the impetus came to want to change but it did from somewhere. You should have come to London - I would have shown you all the places your parents wouldn't have wanted to visit!

Steven: I am now the designated driver because I don't drink and drive anymore! We shouldn't leave the window open but rather have a bucket of hot soapy water at our destination.

Gabriel: Ahem... I should be charging you $100 too now that you've decided to let it all hang out too!

Andre: Maybe we really should get married and live in sterile-bed-heaven. I'll drink to that!!

Tales of the City said...

Bobby - Would you like to join us at the next International Bloggers meet (Monty is over)? my email is cool_grove@yahoo.co.uk

Bobby Vanquish said...

Hey CT: Er, this isn't an invitation to one of "those" sort of er, meets is it? The ones where - well - you bring lube instead of a salad? I'll mail ya! x