Monday 24 September 2007

It's me! Me! Me!

This is dinkum fucken true, I swear...

It was my first year at University in Cape Town and I was out of school and about to spiral out of control.

Actually, the out of control part generally started to happen in the second year - during the first I somehow remained on track.

Of course you know about this - being at Uni means freedom, booze, parties and crushes on boys.

But there was one boy in particular. He was in English with me and, from the moment I saw him, I wanted him.

For the next six months I was obssessed with him. I would try and sit near him in lectures. I would try to see what his handwriting looked like.

If he'd have asked I would have written all his assignments and offered him a wank at the end of each one of them.

I made friends with people who I knew were in the same tutorial as him just so that I could mention him in passing and get them to talk about him.

Late one evening, I noticed his car (it was a BMW - his parents were loaded) in the University car park, sitting near mine. My heart skipped a beat and I grabbed the opportunity.

I tore out a page from my notebook and scribbled something like "you're the hottest guy I have ever seen" or words to that effect and left the note under his windscreen wiper.

It was such a thrill that he might read it and then think about the person who sent it. I don't think he'd have been too impressed if he knew it was from a bloke.

When I found out - about two months into my stalking that he was very definitely straight - I wasn't as upset as I thought I'd be.

I guess I thought "if I can't have him at least no other guy will".

I then found out that his parents lived in Johannesburg and apparently he wanted to study there rather than in Cape Town and I think he left after the first year.

Times move on, things happen and of course memories fade.

I probably would never have thought about him again had it not been for a quick trip to the shops... at lunchtime today.

I went into the office this morning to do some paperwork and left after lunch.

On my way home I was about to stop in the Tesco to get some milk but my eye catches a very fit blonde guy walking down the road with his girlfriend.

Oh. My. Fucking. God.

It's him! It's Niell!

The man who I wanted to spend the rest of my life with!

I can't believe it. He walked past me and I looked at him and it was definitely him. Blonde hair, tanned skin and piercing blue eyes.

I glanced at him but he was engrossed in conversation with the girl whose hand he was holding.

I wanted, there and then, to leap up and down and shout "I was the one who left that note on your car!"

"I used to have such a crush on you!" "It was me! Me! Me! Me!" But instead I walked on.

Ten years ago, this guy was the only thing I ever used to think about. I used to write poems for him in my diary during English lectures.

I used to fantasize about us bunking out to hold hands and go on walks.

I cannot believe all this time later, nearly ten years and 10,000 miles away from where I first saw him, he casually strolled past me none the wiser.

8 comments:

cb said...

I have a similar story about a guy I went to High school with. I had a crush on him, but he was straight. I ran into him at my gym 10 years later about 1100 miles from where we grew up.

(small world cliche here)

Bobby Vanquish said...

CB: I know exactly what you mean because you wanna run up to them and jump up and down going "have I got a story to tell you..." but then they'd just think you were weird / loony / need to be reported.
Yeah - is a very small world.

Gabriel said...

that was sweet. only thing i've learnt about crushes in my life is they are usually not that into you. sigh.....

Sh@ney said...

Aint it funny how the past catches up with you when you least expect it. What does it mean? Who can explain it. How cute that you left a note on his car though. I bet he wondered for weeks which (girl) put it there. *winks* On another fine point, we always seem to fall for the one's we have no chance with! Bummer!

Anonymous said...

That's quite interesting. But think of it in another way - you must've been the "Niel" to other people in life. People not having the courage to talk to you and the guy that walked past you at Bermondsey this morning - he's been wanting you for ages... How intriguing hmmmm

Bobby Vanquish said...

Gabriel: I know! I guess the point of a crush is that they're not into you. That what makes it all the more heart-breaking / special.

Sh@ney: I am a hopeless romantic, what can I say!? I also think it's funny that he thought that it was probably a woman!

Kail: Don't tell me it was you at Bermondsey Tube this morning standing in a trenchcoat staring?! Haha - just kidding. Nice idea though and the great thing is that you seriously never know unless the other person says something.

Mike said...

nice

Bobby Vanquish said...

michael: thanks