Thursday 28 February 2008

Picture Bobby 4

Yuck, yuck, fucky yucky...

I went out for dinner with a former colleague and like most people who work in TV, she smokes. And I, in a moment of weakness, decided to have one of hers.

It was a fucking Gauloise Mild and on the first drag I got that horrible shivery feeling and I feel like shit shit shit. I still have the taste in my mouth nearly two hours later.

Yuck.

Usually I enjoy a rogue fag but on this occasion it's really gone down the wrong way.

Anyway - so as you know, while in Cape Town I have been meeting a lot of people (friends of friends), some of whom aren't really my kind of people.

In order to get through this and be as nice as possible, I have started to ask myself "what would Carla do?" (This is thanks to Andrea who came up with this, frankly, genius idea).

Basically Carla Bruni is the poster-girl for civil social interaction. Her air of cold and sincere disinterest is skill one aspires to emulate.

People who meet Carla think "she's so lovely and interesting too, we must have her and her husband around for dinner."
Whereas Carla thinks "hmm... that woman's shoes didn't match her outfit."

Anyway - so I nearly fell out of bed this morning when I heard the news. Bitches, look who's jetted into Cape Town on a two-day visit...

Fuck knows if it was a joke to get them all to stand in size order but can we all please pause to consider Carla.

This is the welcoming party where the South African president and his wife plus M. Sarkozy are all beaming. They're all saying "this is a wonderful day for Franco-South African relations."

Carla, on the other hand, is probably thinking; "I could do with some Perrier and Proust."

Actually, this is democracy so if you can think up an idea of what Carla is probably thinking, please leave a comment or mail me. The best one will win a prize which I dunno is what though. The prize is that you get to choose it.

Anyway...

Today I did a whole bunch of stuff in and around the city and snapped a few random pictures.

If you're a homesick Seth Efriken in London (or elsewhere in the world) I hope you like them. If you've never been, I hope they're at least visually interesting, even if they were taken with a mobile phone, and if you aren't either well, enjoy them anyway.

So this is driving into the city on the N1 highway.

I took this because we were crawling along as everyone tried to merge into the left lane. Yes okay, I'll say it; people are afraid to merge on the freeway in Cape Town.

People are afraid to merge on the N1 in Cape TownThis next one kinda ties in with the vague California reference, it's downtown in the city.

Aren't you getting a serious LA vibe here?

Is this downtown Cape Town or downtown Los Angeles?So next is a photo of an iconic landmark in Cape Town, the unfinished freeway. It's a freeway that's unfinished. Obviously.

There are so many theories about why it's like that - but there it is.

The unfinished flyover and freeway on the Foreshore in Cape Town, South AfricaThis is another arbitrary traffic intersection but I thought the tree and the mountain (Lions Head) looked kinda nice.

Intersection with Orange Street in Cape Town near the Gardens CentreNext, can we look at this nightclub - the fiercest one I think I have seen in a while.

The entrance was in some really dingy side-street down in the seedy area of the city. Some of the neon was cracked (which hopefully results in it buzzing and flickering) and there were bits of broken glass in the gutter.

Entrance to a scary-looking nightclubImagine pitching up here in pink lycra with a glitter smile and saying to the doorman (who I imagine would pack guns into his socks), "hey sugar!"

There would be your teeth and tinsel all over the pavement, along with the broken glass.

Next, this is going to be the stadium which, when finished, will host the opening game of the 2010 Football World Cup. It's in Green Point.

All good except that it's called the African Rennaissance Stadium. Yes, that's the ARS.

The African Rennaissance Stadium in Green Point in the process of being builtFinally, I like this image with the incredibly long shadows. Taken in Mouille Point (Moo-lee) as the sun sets.

5 comments:

Timmy said...

That pic is VERY L.A.! Reminds me of a trip to Seoul and I thought I was in NYC.

Loving the posts about your holiday.

Bobby Vanquish said...

Timmy: So thanks. My holiday is good though I think need more pics of hot boys. Maybe I need to be a little more shameless with the camera... watch this space!

Anonymous said...

I'm loving the holiday theme as well. Makes for a little escape from working and the same routine everyday. How come you're not hanging out on Clifton beach more? Thought that's what you wanted to do the whole time? Surely you'd be able to take some pics there ;-)

Pete

Timmy said...

I'm usually shameless with my camera when I've had a few adult beverages. Drink up!

Bobby Vanquish said...

Pete: Yeah, I wanted to go to the beach a lot more but I just haven't really had the time. This week I am going to make the effort to go and often as possible. Clifton is heaven.

Timmy: I now have the shameless pictures so will post them as soon as...