Friday 1 February 2008

Retro calls and cats

Thank fuck that week is over.

And hello! Who can believe it's already February?! Fucking hell...

The Friday evening ends at around 8pm in the bar at work as colleagues stand around and get pissed. I drank lemonade and orange.

About 30 minutes later I am in the gym, in the corner like Bridget Jones running on the treadmill.

You'd think at 9pm on a Friday night the gym would be empty. Au contraire....

It's fucking packed with squadrons of hot straight boys pumping themselves up for the night ahead.

Now though I am home, relaxing on my bed and typing this while listening to Eurythmics.

This is where I am...

On the left I can see the light and a glass of water. One should always keep hydrated.

Then we have my iPod charging. Yes, I am a ninny and keep it in plastic and this is why...

(From left)
1/ Broke after I used it in the pool in Ibiza and it got wet
2/ Broke after... actually I dunno why it broke. All I know is that it doesn't work
3/ Down the loo (not because it was a Sony Ericsson - it was an accident)
4/ Dropped a weight on it in the gym

So that's why I have started to wrap my gadgets in shatterproof plastic coverings.

These broken phones and iPods are quick-to-hand because they live in the second drawer of the chest you can see on the left.

Anyway, then we have the Mac and my very posh Sennheiser headphones which make even shite music sound amazing.

Out of them is playing I Love To (Listen To Beethoven) from Eurythmics' album 'Savage'.

I love this track because it is very 80s and also just odd. Not because it's shite.

I took a swipe at Sony Ericsson phones seven lines up, but who remembers when they were just Ericsson phones?

The Ericsson T18 was the first phone I ever bought myself. I used to think it was so fucking cool with that foldey-flap-thing.

It was exactly like the one on the right:

If you ever had one of these phones, remember the stupid aerial would always break off.

Actually, the first phone I ever had was some old Motorola brick my parents gave me.

Anyway, after the T18 those who were ubercool could have the T28. The screen used to glow this radioactive green colour.

I wonder if you can still get these phones anywhere?

I think vintage mobile phones should make a comeback. While we're at it, I reckon SuperMarioLand on GameBoy (the first one with the monochrome screen) needs to resurface.

And who could forget the hottest toy in the history of the world...

Check out the definition on that left arm.

And then here is Lion-O from behind. Ohmygod is that not the hottest ass, fit legs and who cannot be impressed with his amazing lat definition?

Hello! This isn't just a plastic toy. This is a life's ambition.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first person I ever had a dangerously serious crush on had an Ericsson T18. We were like, 12, and it wasn't normal to have phones at that age--especially in the ghetto that I grew up in--so I was was quite impressed. This post totally reminded me of that person and those days.

By the way, I believe the Nokia brick you're referring to is the Nokia 5110 ( http://www.compxcell.co.za/images/nokia5110.gif ), which was the first phone I ever had. Yeah, I was cool.

Bobby Vanquish said...

Lex: "Phones like that in a ghetto"... I'm intrigued! And the 5110 haha... my mum used to have one, with the squishy keys.
And remember, if you were really cool then you would change the plastic face to match your day / mood / whatever.

Anonymous said...

Bobby: the parents probably sold drugs or something. and you KNOW I spent all of the rest of my own money on 30 different faceplates...you have to have one for each day of the month you know. Anything fewer just defeats the purpose.

Anonymous said...

Lol, I had a T28, and I loved it to bits... it was just simply UBERCOOL. but it also kept going faulty and I had to have it changed about 5 times. I think I'd still like a phone that looked like that.

Anonymous said...

The T18 was my first and probably most loved phone, until one night at a friend's party it was stolen out of my pocket. I found later on snapped in 2.

I think that was the only time I cried over an inanimate object.

And I'd just like to add that I think Lion-O needs a bit more ass.

seahorse said...

omg, yeah u still get them, im sure u would pick up one in the cape sumwhere.

i remember forking out R1200 for the T28 up in pretoria when it came out...it was super Kool!!!

remember the nokia 2010i or 2110i or sumfink, gawd it was huge!!!!

Anonymous said...

Liono - wonder whether I should use the word pervert now, or wait till the confession about dressing up as She-ra? :O)

"Sword of Omens; give me spunk beyond spunk"

Wiki says theres a CGI movie in production at the moment - although I think a live action movie would have been great - Matthew McConnaughey as Liono and Wesley Snipes as Panthro - would have been quite cool.

I will admit to liking Ace from Centurions - but at least he was human :OP

However a bit more googling led me to find out you will be letching over Hugh Jackman in the tight blue hotpants.

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/thundercats0707

I used to avoid Ericson till Sony got involved as used to dislike the design - I was Nokia all the way once the Motorola brick had gone.

Anonymous said...

oh and make sure you read to the end of the article :O)

Edd said...

5110, god that takes me back, my first ever phone. I was the first at school to get one, which was pretty rediculous thinking back, seing as none of my friends had a fone, and therefore I had no one to ring. I was however rather good at snake.

And thundercats, is it any wonder our generation these days is so obsessed with sex, violence and negative self immage.