Saturday 29 December 2007

Liste Bobbys der guten Filme

After mentioning why I didn't like Shortbus I really don't want this blog to turn into Bobby's Film Review but...

As you know, I've been working for the last week and to kill time and take my mind off things I've been catching up on movies I missed this year.

So in a nutshell...

Shortbus: Didn't like it at all. Tedious, smug and unnecessary hardcore sex.

Basic Instinct 2: The biggest pile of crap to keep me mesmerised for two hours.
Seeing Sharon Stone stroll past the Shadow Lounge and Escape Bar (two gay clubs in London's Soho) to go to some seedy sex party was the high-point of the film. Her dirty-talk made me squirm though.

The Simpson's Movie: Loved it. Realised why I love The Simpsons. Cool in-jokes and just so much fun.

TransAmerica: Yeah, pretty good though some of the pacing was a little odd. Slightly depressing that the movie was considered "edgy" for "mainstream" audiences which it very definitely isn't.

Transformers: Standard Hollywood blockbuster bollocks. Yeah, it was entertaining. Yeah er.. whatever. Not bitter that I spent money to watch it.

Das Leben der Anderen / The Lives of Others: Ohmygod. Oh. My. God.
Instantly becomes one of the greatest films I have ever watched.

(The actual reason for this post.)

It is just incredible. Amazing. Wow. Set in East Germany in the 80s it is an astonishing story and a breathtaking piece of cinema. I can so see why people are calling it one of the greatest German films ever made.

Have you seen it? Am I over-cooking the egg with my praise?

It starts off slowly, it whispers along - there are no bangs and kerpows! but by the end I was just like I wanted to applaud the TV. It also left me in tears.

But like proper snivelling tears.

I see it's billed as a thriller which I guess, on paper, it is. But it's so much more than that.

Don't go to IMDB.com and read the plot or try and watch it if you're in a hurry. Go and rent it, make some time and immerse yourself in it.

It is incredible.

When you go to the movie store, which is what you're looking for:

Wow. It's just wow. Amazing and wow all in one.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd lay money on it that it won't be available in the city I live in.

Carl

GB said...

Well BV, I saw The Lives of Others at the cinema when it came out in the UK and I thought its was a good film. When I think of the film now I keep thinking that it was Kevin Spacey who played the lead role. Although it wasn't of course, the film is quite like some of the stuff that he's done. But some films that Kevin Spacey did do were better, like The Usual Suspects and American Beauty to name just two.

GB xxx
(Hopefully a good taste comment which DOESN'T deface your blog LOL!!)

Bobby Vanquish said...

Carl: Try and find it because maybe you'll enjoy it. (Which city is this?)

GB: Yeah - that guy in the Lives of Others was very "Kevin Spacey" but did you know that he died after getting the Oscar? Not Spacey - the German actor. Makes it all the more poignant.
I thought 'Others' was way better than 'Suspects' and 'Beauty'. Actually - it's been ages since I watched The Usual Suspects. Maybe a re-run's needed.
Kevin Spacey for me will always be the serial killer in Seven though.

ANDRE said...

Talking about Kevin Spacey, how bad was the new Superman?!

I just realised I haven't provided you with a valid reason on why you should like Shortbus. I should get all my shit together and write an essay on it I guess.

I'll get The Lives of Others from my friend Tommy who owns an astonishing aprox. 1,200 DVDs..

MadeInScotland said...

But wasn't TLOO somewhat predictable? I loved it, but it wasn't hard to figure what was going to happen, though I liked the post bump ending.

I have so many CZ friends who remember the fear of life with the Stasi, never knowing who to trust.

One of Prague's best gay bars/clubs is opposite the former stasi HQ, something I find rather ironic.

There are a couple of CZ films that make me laugh-Czech Dream, or if you want something colourful try Rebelove, in which my friend Marcel makes a brief appearance (showing < here

ahoj