Sunday 9 December 2007

Bobby-board explained

So I made this little digital quilt out of pictures that mean something to me.

I thought it was a slightly more novel way to do one of those "things about me" posts. Of course I wanted to see if any of the pictures were familiar / meant something to you and some of them did. So how many of them match?

Here's my "key" to the image (starting from the top left and working from each row from left to right):

1/ The Waterfront and Table Mountain: Where I spend a lot of my youth. My second home.

2/ Highgate Cemetery: One of the most beautiful and tranquil places in London. It's great to go there and just "be". Thankfully I don't live there permanently.

3/ Stanley Kubrick: My inspiration. He's the reason I'm working in the business I am. When I work with a camera I think to myself "what would Stanley think of this shot?" The best compliment someone ever paid me was when they said "God, you're stuff is very "Kubrick".

4/ Pharcyde rave poster: When I was around 17 years old a group of us started to go to raves and be all grown-up. This is the poster from one of the first ones I went to.

5/ Gaydar boys: I thought these would add something nice to look at. I don't know who they are but they're hot. And also because a few months ago I stopped using Gaydar. It's a waste of time.

6/ Bond Street tube station: I use this Tube station nearly everyday. I reckon statistically I have used this station everyday for the last five years. That's a lot of times.

7/ Apple: This blog is made on a Mac. I spend far too much in that bloody Apple shop. I am computer illiterate and am a creature of habit so a Mac is about my limit because it really is like Fisher Price for adults.

8/ Some famous old moth-eaten building in West London: Where I work.

9/ Cannonball Ball II film: It's the biggest pile of shit ever produced on film but somehow I know all the words to it.

10/ Batman: The first film I went to see all my own and the first tape I ever bought.

11/ Sony Z1: All I want for Christmas. This piece of technology physically turns me on. I want one so badly. (Nudge, nudge).

12/ Union flag: I'm British.

13/ Pride flag: And a gay too.

14/ Lady at the Virginal by Johannes Vermeer: He's one of my favourite artists. I love the uniformity and his repeated use of chequered floors. One day I must tell you about my chequered-floor obsession.

15/ Pringle clothing: My favourite label. It's like they make it especially for me because it fits so well. Perhaps in a past life I was a Scot.

16/ aussieBum: Because I'm currently wearing aussieBum knickers.

17/ Lamborghini Diablo: The most expensive car I ever driven. In Cape Town I got to drive one around the city, it was silver and was the most frightening / exhilarating things I've ever done.

18/ Sky: Where I once worked. I hated it.

19/ A block of cheese: The canteen in the place where I work puts up the price on everything so when I go there I always steal a Babybel cheese to make up for the difference they're ripping me off by.

20/ Edinburgh: The only place I went to on holiday to this year. It's dem Scots again...

21/ Istu: I worship at the altar of Itsu. The best fast-food place in London. I started going to the one on Piccadilly before the food there turned nuclear. Geddit?

22/ Hiedsieck Blue Top champagne: This is going to sound so pretentious but it's what they serve in Club World on British Airways. Drinking it in those circumstances means it's holiday-time. Woo hoo!

23/ Rhodesian flag: I was born in Rhodesia though it isn't around anymore. I think it's quite cool to say I was born in a place that doesn't exist.

24/ Soho gyms: The first gym I used to go to when I arrived in London, me and the rent boys. I was very out-of-place so now go somewhere far more genteel.

25/ The Art Of War by Sun Tzu: My dad gave me this when I turned 18. Everyday I live by the principles in the book. It sounds slightly psychotic to live your life according to a manual about making war but I've found it an amazing guide. I like to think it means that I'm unbeatable.

26 University of Cape Town: Where I spent four years drinking too much, partying too much and not doing much studying. I thought the picture, with Table Mountain in the background, looked pretty.

27/ Fransz Liszt: His Piano Concerto No. 2 is music from a higher source. It is complex, intense and beautiful.

28/ Thunder-thunder-thundercats! Hooooo!: They so beat the shit out of He-Man. Lion-O was hot too. Early homo-gay wet dreams in a cartoon. I love them.

9 comments:

London Preppy said...

I see on the right that you're looking for a recommendation on what book to read at the moment. I could pass your details to a reader I have if you like, he's extremely helpful.

Bobby Vanquish said...

London P,

As you know, I'm young and therefore haven't read much so any recommendation would be very welcome.
I am particularly interested in Nobel prize-winning literature pre-1960, aimed at beginners.
I really hope you're able to help with this request and I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours, as ever
Bobby x

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like the Art of War made you seem psychotic in the previous comment. It was just..unusual :). I was wondering how it tied in.

Anyway, I'm really excited that you also have a checkered floor obsession. I thought I was the only one!

Bobby Vanquish said...

Lex: Oh god now... I was making the point myself. I know it's unusual and I think that it's slightly odd to have that book as your favourite but perhaps it's because it's familiar...
Yeah - those black and white floors... I don't trust them. Call me obsessed too!

ANDRE said...

1) Highgate cemetery: one of my favourite spots in London. I used to go there very weekend, taking pictures of tombstones and imagining the lives of the deceased.

2) Stanley kubrick: Probably the only director that has ever managed to touch me deeply with the use of the camera. But not in that sense..

3) Gdar boys: something I see everyday. I use it for promotion, you know, that's what I keep on telling to myself.

4) Bond Street: My best friend used to work at the Busaba in Bond Street. I have spent an entire summer in front of that tube station.

5) Apple: What I'm learning to use at the moment.

6) Batman: actually Batman II. The Penguin is the kind of villain i'd love to be if I was short and fat and with 3 fingers instead of 5.

7) Sony Z1: Long story short, I'm in love with an indie film director and that's what he uses and he's so sexy when he talks about it.

8) Union flag: The love of my life, the guy I'd spend my life with, he's a Brit. And I'd love to make love to him wrapped up in the flag.

9) Aussie Bum: only because I hate it so much I can't ignore it

10) Lamborghini Diablo: long story short, my dad was a pro race car driver. We once had it and he used to drive me around town with it.

11) SKY: if he/she was a person, it'd been my lifetime partner, considering the amount of time I spend watching it.

12) Block of cheese: my parents are producing cheese in their farm. The stench is awful. I can't get rid of it when I stay over.

13) Heidsieck Blue Top champagne: mmm I guess this is the most stretched one, but it's booze and I love booze, alright?!?!

14) Thundercats: used to masturbate over this cartoon, probably my first wanking fantasy. That's when I started drawing too, I used to tape it, freeze it and replicate what I saw on the screen.

Ok, I'm drunk, sorry mate. argh....

Gabriel said...

i really like that bobby-board idea. its gives such a good insight about you and your life. inspires me to do one too!

Bobby Vanquish said...

Andrea: Which Kubrick touched you particularly? Tell, tell...

And wanking over the Thundercats! Andrea - no! I used to think Lion-O was sexy but I never did that. I don't think I knew what wanking was when I watched.

You could have also included the poofey flat which would make it 15. And hello! Anyone who is obssessed by a Z1 should be treated with care. They're clearly mad.
(Have you ever touched one? It's like feeling the face of God)

Gabriel: i can't wait to see yours. It tooks bloody ages though - not the making of it but thinking of what pictures to use etc.

ANDRE said...

I actually forgot to include Pringle, all my v-necks are from Pringle actually!

Kubrick: I have a poster of A Clockwork Orange in my room, I remember obsessing over that movie during high school. And I remember studying the symbols in Dr Strangelove for my cinema class at Uni. Or quoting Full Metal Jacket with my friends, who I actually met for the first time at the premiere of Eyes Wide Shut.

The guy who uses the Z1 is actually a nutcase, you were right! :)

(btw, I made my own board, check it out in my blog. It took ages to make the images fit, damnit!)

Anonymous said...

¡Viva el Champán Hiedsieck!