Wednesday 3 October 2007

More Paul

Towards the end of the year it was exam time and if guys weren't sitting they could stay in the boarding house under the auspices that they were studying.

Paul and I were among a handful of guys who hadn't got an exam, weren't studying and decided to go down the pool for a swim.

I remember going into Paul's dorm and he was lying on his stomach reading a book, wearing a Speedo. He was planning to go swimming but was engrossed in his novel.

Sitting on the corner of his bed I asked him what he was reading.

Turning over he put his hand behind his head, lying on his bed in a black Speedo showing off the full length of his amazing body.

Bryce's Courtney's The Power of One - the book most guys at the time had either read or were reading.

He turned back onto his stomach but put the book down.

"My shoulders are really sore from lying like this", he said.

I can remember what he said as clear as though it could have happened five minutes ago even though this was more than a decade ago.

Next minute I was sitting up against his back massaging his shoulders. He kept saying how strong my hands were. I told him it was really uncomfortable, sitting and leaning over him.

One thing led to another...

So there we were, me sitting on his bottom leaning over and massaging his muscular back and shoulders. I think I must have been drooling.

Here I was, in such an intimate position touching a boy I had lusted after for years. All I could feel was electricity. There was elecritity surging everywhere and in my crotch too.

Suddenly I stopped.

"Carry on" he said, his head to one side and his mouth squashed by the pillow.

I couldn't help myself but I couldn't carry on. I sat there on his bottom, excited and petrified of what was going to happen next.

Fuck it. I leaned down putting my hands on the top of his arms and kissed the back of his neck.

Suddenly everything happened very quickly.

He reached his arm back and put his hand on my thigh and just at that moment there was a noise at the top of the stairs outside.

I lept off Paul and scrambled to sit on the bed nearby, he grabbed his book to continue reading.

Enter Glen asking us if we were coming swimming or not? I could feel the blood draining from my face and other regions.

The mood disappeared in an instant.

I got up off the bed and walked to the pool with Glen. Paul said he'd be down shortly.

We never spoke about what happened and the situation never presented itself again.

Three months later I had finished my exams and left school for the last time. I have never seen or heard of Paul since. God I loved him.

I still hold this story so close and I always wonder what may have happened if Glen had never appeared. When I watched Brokeback Mountain it brought back all these memories. After watching the film I cried uncontrollably for nearly a week. I still wonder whatever happened to Paul.

I really, really loved him so much. So close but yet so far.

8 comments:

MadeInScotland said...

Sounds familiar...

Made in Scotland: Omni Nunc Arte Magistra

your first post, in part, got me thinking about a similar experience.

ahoj

seahorse said...

ag here shame. Im sure we've all been down similair roads thinking back if only. If only that knock never happened? If only moved in quicker? If only...
Called regrets but we move on and the memories are the best.
I had an experience where i met a guy in PTA and i had to leave back for knysna and i wold have married him given the chance now. He was perfect. Every nw and then one hits that depresson and you think back and wonder how things would be now...
Even in London i have tried to track him down back abroad and tell him im coming back to him and settle down but always something holding me back from making that call.
Like Barbara says.....memoriesss

TheDreamer said...

Oh gosh. Unrequited love, in spades. That is the harshest most beautiful thing. Thank you for writing it.

firstimpre55ion said...

Seriously, your posts lately have been really touching and insightful to the inner workings of Bobby's mind...I love it!

I know you hate me, but I seriously love how vulnerable you are in these stories...

It's a side you rarely express...so there is someone sweet inside that mottled, angry exterior! ;)

-Bry

Tales of the City said...

Wow.. its a beautiful and painful tale. Is he on facebook? :-)

Anonymous said...

That's such a sweet story, in a melancholy way.

Bobby Vanquish said...

Czech: The great thing about blogs, I think, is that you take away what you want from them. Thanks for sharing your story too. All-boys schools - god, the parallels...!

Seahorse: I am going to start a mission to find Paul. If I do - you have to make that call. Promise?

AA: Thanks for the very kind comment and thanks for reading. I hope to share more as time goes by.

fI: You'd be surprised to find that I'm not just an abusive cow. Believe me!

CuteCT: Nah - I've embarked on a mission to find him. There will be much more to come.

Oliver: Thanks matey. I have to say that this is not the last you're going to hear about Paul. He really meant a lot to me and there's a lot to say.

seahorse said...

go on u find Paul...i aint calling up after Michael, who knows where his been or who with, i have dealt with letting go and i just hang on to the memory instead which is better than the real thing.

i'll explain more at some point in time in my own useless blog to be lol

are you finding Paul for clarity on what would have been or just to see what he looks like now to justify that vision or illusion u have created in your head?

die kop is 'n erge ding...dit kan ons lekker rond fok ne..

booooooooobbbbby ek wil jou babies he!!!!!!!!!

haha lol
hiccup hiccup....bloody martinis tonite...man i need to sober up now