Wednesday 14 May 2008

To someone I (don't) know

The funny thing about a blog is that anyone can read it.

Perhaps something you write strikes a chord with someone and they decide to examine their own feelings and start a blog too.

Tonight I found someone who, it seems, has been reading what I've written.

Back in February they started their own blog and I wanted to share some few lines from it...

"I am a male, white, 16 years of age. I live in a town called Stellenbosch, South Africa. I go to a prominent boys only school, and I despise it."

"Tonight, I truly feel like crying. Even though I developed a lot emotionally this weekend, in a way accepting that I am gay.

"I have stopped talking to my father. [W]e had a big fight where he put me in a room and started shouting at me, and saying bad things about my mother and I. When my mom came to fetch me (he now also lived in Cape Town) he started another fight and made me choose between him and her, I chose my mom."

"After writing that article, (the last one) I went, sat on my bed, and cried for ages and ages. I just couldn’t stop. It just all flowed out. And mom came and sat with me, and then after a while I stopped crying and I felt better. We decided that it is best if I don’t go to school tomorrow. So I shall be staying at home.
We watched Little Miss Sunshine, as it was on television."

"I don’t hate school because of all the work, I mean, o.k. I don’t like homework, but I know that it is beneficial to my future. It is due to the fact that I am so darn lonely, people find me too mature, so they avoid me; and the main reason is as I get bullied."

"I went on the bus for a while, and I hated it! I was still bullied, and one day, someone on the bus, took a plank and hit me through the face."



Dear C451,

I am Bobby, I guess I don't need to introduce myself to you. You've been reading a lot of the stuff I've written. Perhaps you saw that I was from Cape Town too.

My parents live outside Stellenbosch, it was the small town I partly grew up in. I know the school you go to, I have been there many times. I too went to a "prominent" all-boys boarding school. I also hated it.

If you look at the comments on my blog you will see that there are loads of other guys who come here too. Many of them too had a shitty time growing up. I know what it's like thinking "I'm gay and I am all alone in this..."

If you find yourself sat at the end of your bed crying, remember that I was sat there too. We were all sat there.

I can't make school easier and I can't make the bullies go away but I can tell you that you're not alone.

All the stuff that has beaten you and knocked you and hit you - don't allow it to get you down.

When someone is nasty to you, let your heart smile and tell yourself that you won't let them get to you. After a while they will walk away.

Things may be difficult at times and you may be upset and you may hate who you are but it is you.

There is nothing wrong with you. Don't be afraid of how you're feeling - that's just called growing up.

Of course, at times, it's not going to be easy. The road ahead is long and tough but if you want, the rewards are plenty and they are stunning.

That's until a boy breaks your heart for the first time, of course!

As you walk through, what seems to be a never-ending tunnel, remember that at the end there will be light. And there will be smiles and there will be all the happiness you hoped for.

But above all, remember that you are not alone. Somewhere out there is all of us - a bunch of guys (and the odd girl) who're with you in spirit and cheering you on, every step of your journey.

All the very best, from someone who's cried the same tears that you have. It will get better, I promise you.

With love, light and a smile.

Bobby x

11 comments:

Timmy said...

To C451 and Bobby Vanquish: There is a commercial break during Dancing With The Stars and I decided to see if Bobby had posted anything and now I sit here getting a bit teary-eyed...and a lump in my throat mainly because many of us have been down that road and Bobby gave a very heartfelt response. I couldn't have said it better.

Monty said...

Oh yes, there are buckets of us, in every corner of the world, who've gone through the same stuff! That was a great response Bobby - I'm sure it helped! :-)

dickophile said...

aw. you're gonna make me cry. stop that.

Bobby Vanquish said...

timmy: you were watching Dancing with the Stars and then you came to read some blog which nearly moved you to tears?! you are SO gay! hahaha - ;-) I'm kidding - well, I'm joking at your expense but I don't mean it nasty...

Monty: I hope it did, you know - one has to do what one can really...

Dick: Don't be a woes... but cry if you want to. You always feel better afterwards.

And also - can I say that I didn't put this guy's blog URL in the post - because i just thought that he's 16 or 17 in a small town in South Africa and here I am, some 29 year old in London, suddenly calling the cavalcade to go piling in... but go and say hi - he's at:

goats2rome DOT wordpress DOT com

some of it is really heart-breaking...

Timmy said...

what makes you think I'm gay? :-)

Bobby Vanquish said...

Timmy: You're watching Dancing with the Stars you bloody great queen!
;-)

MadeInScotland said...

BV

ahah! Thought you'd Be Back Soon. I remember a time before you bade farewell...

Glad you're back.

ahoj

Bobby Vanquish said...

Czech: Yes, i heard the people and they said "please sir, I want some more... !" and i went MORE!!!!!!!!!!
etc. thanks x

seahorse said...

oh bless...its so like agony aunt bobby!

Muzbot said...

I guess some of us still cry every now and then. But I know all the shit from school and other times when I was growing up helped make me who I am today... and ultimately I'm happy with who I am now.

Bobby Vanquish said...

Muz: So great point - i think it's like viruses and stuff. If we didn't have the knockabout stuff it wouldn't harden us up to deal with all the shit nowadays.
thanks for the comment x