Saturday 17 May 2008

Hounds of Love

We met on a train about two weeks ago.

I'm with colleagues, travelling back to London and sitting at the table next to us are four guys in suits.

Two of the girls in our group - tall, blonde and partially well-known if you watch TV in the UK - catches the attention of the guys at the next table.

The guys opposite are obviously interested. Or, at least three of them are.

So a bottle of wine appears and the journey from Crewe turns into a Virgin Trains Knowing-Me, Knowing You (ahaaa...).

I catch his eye a few times but I just think that he's being friendly or is slightly pissed.

About three bottles later.

The journey comes to an end and we get ready to disembark and we're standing up, gathering our stuff and the two girls have told the guys that they're married. This is true.

But then he hands me a card.

And I think "yeah, but you told me what you did... so why do I want this?"

I say thanks, we get off the train and I stumble into a cab. It's on the way home that I think 'shit, I have his number.' I geddit!

So I text him two days later and we decide to have a drink.

And then we go for supper on another occasion. And along the way (last weekend) there is some interaction and we go for dinner again and he texts me at work to say that he's thinking of me.

I like him. But I give "us" about two weeks, max.

He is 32, works in the City and lives in Canary Wharf. This basically means he lives in the office.

It will last longer than the next two weeks because:
1/ He is seriously fucken loaded which I didn't realise when I met him. I have always thought that being a housewife could be fun. Think of not working and the holidays and the presents all the other bits that go with that territory.

"I was given these jewels while on my back in Iraq. And these were when I was on my knees in Belize." etc.

It probably won't last longer than another two weeks because:
1/ We have absolutely nothing in common.

I am west London, he is east
I am gym, he is occassional jogging
I am Kate Bush, he is Kaizer Chiefs
I am Nike, he is Adidas
I am red, he is beer
I am city break, he is backpacking

Last weekend, when I found myself near him and we were both wearing less than usual. I have to admit there were no skipped heartbeats.

The problem is that he's really sweet and he's really lovely. And he smells nice and his shirts are pressed and hung-up fresh from the dry-cleaners.

And he's pretty successful, seems to like me and doesn't hold his knife like a pen.

His teeth are straight and white, he kisses well (there's nothing worse than someone who doesn't) and we both think that the way we met is pretty cool so somehow there's serendipity.

But.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tall and blonde - it wasnt the cheeky girls you were with then?

You need to take some time out this weekend and watch Bridget Jones - lovey dovey gets you in the mood for love. Or better still Serendipity the movie - but don't be go leaving objects in books for your new Babooshka to be finding in a few years time.

Are you making up all these exuses avout your differences because you really think it will be a problem or because your not ready for something serious? - if its the latter reason your always going to be running up that hill till you are. If its the former just go with it. At least with that sort of difference your not going to turn into one of those twin couples in matching Gap Sweaters you see about some times - shudder.

Bill said...

Sounds nice. I hope it all works out :)

dickophile said...

so then this isn't the true love i thought it would be. oh well. another day perhaps.

MadeInScotland said...

mon c and i met on the Eurostar...

ahoj

Bobby Vanquish said...

Fleet: aren't the cheeky girls both brunettes? and aren't they broke too i.e. they wouldn't be on a train.
if i ever end up with someone and he have GAP sweaters, a Volvo and a retriever, then you're welcome to come and poison us.

Bill: well, maybe.

Dick: yeah - this isn't it... but it's kinda fun / interesting while it lasts.

czech: so maybe there is something about trains...!

W said...

I think there will always be a 'but' with you Bobby.

Anonymous said...

That was a sarcastic comment about the cheeky girls - must remember to stop using sarcasm in the written form - doesn't work as well; if at all.

Did you spot my two uses of Kate Bush lyrics as well - or were they a bit obscure?

Don't diss the retrievers - can't beat being cuddled up with a Lab on a cold night when your home alone.

rickisimus2 said...

Full of negative attitude. You're thinking your relationship will fail. Then it'll fail. If you don't think about it it can fail, or not. But if you start thinking about failing...

"Carpe diem".

Timmy said...

Sometimes its the differences that can be fun and interesting. Go along for the ride and don't worry about it. I have a long story about how I met someone and while things didn't work out we're still really good friends.

Bobby Vanquish said...

W: is that but with one T or two?

Fleet: haha - yes i did get them - though only one of those songs comes from Hounds of Love. Although they were both on The Whole Story.

Ricki: it's not really negative feeling - it's just we have nothing in common - and - er, he's sweet. But that's about it.

Timmy: we'll probably stay friends maybe. actually the thing i think with him and me is that it will slowly fade through indifference. but we'll see, no?

Superdrewby said...

Oh for gods sake stop worrying about what might or might not be and just enjoy yourself!

stop putting expectation either way on to yourself and just f**ing have fun

*was that direct enough?

Anonymous said...

When I met the man I'm spending my life with, I thought he was to young, we didn't have much in common, it would not last. I found a lot of faults in him, and I nearly broke up four times in the first five months.

He wasn't really my type, he didn't go to the gym although he told me he wanted to, I liked other people better, blah blah blah.

It will be four years next month, and I'm in love with him.

firstimpre55ion said...

Don't make me go to London just to slap you Bobby...why are you trying to sabotage yourself? Seriously!!! OMG...let it happen...opposites attract, right? DO. NOT. SABOTAGE. THIS.

Bry

Anonymous said...

But nothing Bobby. Just see what happens and enjoy it (if you can...)

Gabriel said...

isn't it true that opposites attract?