Wednesday 21 May 2008

Music For The Jilted Generation

You have to save me from myself.

I had the curtains dry cleaned and I've been hanging them while listening to Boney M. Tell anyone and I'll kill you.

A CD of theirs was lurking in the rack and I thought I might as well rip it (?) onto the iPod. God knows why I have a fucken album of Boney M's Greatest Hits but I do.

Don't mock me... here goes:

"By the rivers of Babylon... where we sat down... eehee we wept when we remembered Zion..."

I hope I've got the bloody tune in your head now.

So speaking of swimming, yesterday Matt and I decided we would investigate the public pool near his hotel.

I've walked past it on the way to where he's staying and have wanted to know what it's like. Well, I actually suggested it because I'm intrigued but too scared to go on my own.

Firstly, to contextualise. This pool is right, slap, bang in the middle of London's West End. Imagine a public swimming pool one street behind Fifth Avenue in New York.

Secondly, what with me training to be an Olympic swimmer and Matt being able to swim, it's an activity we could both find productive.

So, being a facility that's run by Camden council (whose taxes rip me off every single month) and in a pretty urban area of Central London let's make a list of what it could potentially be like:

1/ Clean but smells of chemicals, like a school pool
2/ There will be at least one person using the shower to wash themselves and their clothes / various other belongings
3/ There will be elderly gay men who get free entrance only to hang around the changerooms
4/ There will be elderly women who get in for free, who have long grey hair and who paddle around and take up all the space.

Tick, tick, tick, tick.

We tried the pool inside but it was warm, like wee, so we went outside and it was cold and odd. Basically you're in a pool and all around you is concrete; office blocks and houses.

We got the creeps so we left. And didn't swim.

There was a huge man in a tiny Speedo completely spread-eagled on a table that he was using as a sun lounger. The view was disgusting.

Anyway, the rest of the evening was far more productive / fun / amazing.

No, there was none of that.

We went to see Hairspray.

Ohmygod... ohmygod...ohmygod....

In the final number, where the entire cast is dancing, smiling and singing at the top of their lungs, I burst into tears.

I am such a big, stinking over-emotional homo when it comes to musicals.

It was fun and camp and pointless and just brilliant.

At the end I didn't leap out of my seat to my feet like other homos did but after a while I did stand up and clap. And then I cheered. And my eyes watered a little more.

You know, we all get down and depressed and hate ourselves but for two hours I escaped all of that and sat in a darkened theatre as a whole bunch of people in silly costumers, tried their fucken hardest to put a smile on my face.

They so did it.

I can't describe the feeling when something that you weren't expecting, just so completely lifts your soul.

Like that moment in ET when Elliot and ET are in the bicycle being chased by the cops and suddenly the bicycle just lifts into the sky and you just want to punch the air and cheer.

That's how I felt.

I wanted to give each of the cast a huge big hug and a kiss. It is brilliant and I loved it. I absolutely loved it.

This morning I downloaded the opening number, Good Morning Baltimore from the film soundtrack and skipped all the way to the Tube station listening to it.

Give me a chance cause
When I start to dance I'm a movie star!
Oh, Oh, Oh...
Something inside of me makes me move
When I hear that groove.

My mom tells me no
But my feet tell me go
It's like a drummer inside my heart.

Don't hold me back cause today all my dreams will come true.


And there's no need to say it, I will...

Gay, gay, gay, Bobby you are so fucking gay.

18 comments:

seahorse said...

bless.. The only time to cry bob is when u watchin Legends of the Fall or The Notebook or Brokeback Hill or most definitely Meet Joe Black for sure!

dickophile said...

you're flaming honey!! but we still love you. just not this particular part of you. this bobby we just tolerate. :)

Timmy said...

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film version of Hairspray The Musical, the live production cannot be beat...sort of like you can't stop the beat or the motion in the ocean. :-) Glad you enjoyed the show.

Have you ever viewed the original John Waters movie? OMG! I made my parents watch it and they LOVED IT!

Anonymous said...

I will admit to liking Boney M's music but it brings back bad memories - we have a localish musical festival here yearly over a few nights. They get big acts like James Brown etc. One year the bill was Rose Royce and Boney M (or at least one of the founder members still using that name) - very good - but I spent Rasputin getting my arse pinched anonymously by what I later found out to be a middle aged woman shudder.

Is this the pool in London with the really sleazy reputation or am I thinking of one closer to Oxford Street?

Bobby Vanquish said...

Seahorse: Semi-understandable. You're improving.

Dick: Tolerance is good... we should all be tolerant. Except of people who don't clip their toenails.

Timmy: No haven't seen the origianl movie but I imagine because it's John Waters it's pretty outrageous. Wasn't Divine in it?

Fleet: Fuck, Rose Royce - I'd forgotten about them. Yes, this is the pool with the sleazy reputation at the end of Oxford Street - well, if you walk down the following street and turn left. I don't think it's as bad as it was - a colleague at work was saying they'd cleaned it up because it used to be pretty notorious.

seahorse said...

haha. My head hurts incredibly and they way its going i might miss my flight. I want to sleeeep! Detox time No more Russian parties! Chat later when im sucking on some southern fried chicken!

Anonymous said...

I saw it last week and totally loved it too. x

Bobby Vanquish said...

seahorse: ?!

Anon: It was brilliant, wasn't it?

Anonymous said...

I think you would like the musical Mamma Mia. Very good. It's coming out as a movie this summer too starring Meryl Streep.

I liked Hairspray as well.

Now back to this line thing.

I don't think he was able to get a line. Maybe just enough to be like the bottom part of a colon. No, I'll give you the benfit of the doubt and say, the bottom part of a semi colon. :)

Carl

Gabriel said...

fag. fag. fag. i cried when i watched hairspray too.

Bobby Vanquish said...

Carl: I have seen Mamma Mia and it was brilliant. And what do you mean of the line thing? I think I've lost you a bit.

Gabriel: You big ol' flamin' mo! x x

Anonymous said...

I mean a full line wouldn't work on you. Only something smaller like the bottom part of puncuation mark. The bottom part is like a small dot with a small squiggle coming off it. Yeah, your stick could hold about that much I'm guessing. That's why he's have to do it a few times. hehehehehe

Carl

Bobby Vanquish said...

carl: riiiight - now I understand you!!! x

Bobby Vanquish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bobby Vanquish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Timmy said...

Yes. Divine was in the original along with Deborah Harry and Sonny Bono and Rikki Lake.

Anonymous said...

loving the last post...gotta admit I have been reading another blog and it reminds me a little of yours, well maybe combined with Londonpreppies but thought I would share as it is a good read for something so recently launched

http://confessionsofamuscler.blogspot.com/

Edd said...

i felt dirty after the words "public" and "pool".

Call me old fashioned, but I was brought up to believe that water should never have a chlorine content unless its situated in your friends residence or it has an obscenely long waiting list and monthly subscription.