Saturday 3 May 2008

Nothing in the air tonight

Last Thursday night I was in a car on the way home.

I was pre-occupied with the driver who was slightly interesting / attractive in a "you smell nice in a cheap suit" kind of way.

At some point during the drive home I'd been playing with my mobile phone because the next morning I realised that I'd left it in the car.

The cab company's office is in Wood Green which is somewhere in North East London and I don't know anything about that area.

Hence, I haven't been to collect it.

I have been without a mobile phone for more than a week and I can I tell you something? It's been bloody marvellous.

People who want to arrange things can e-mail me. There's a phone at home and I have my own number at work.

I don't receive text messages from people who expect a response within seconds. I don't have to look at a ringing phone and think "oh, I really don't want to talk to you..."

What's the point of a mobile phone anyway?

Sometimes it's convenient if you're running late and you want to tell the person who you're meeting but on the Tube there's no phone signal.

The only time in the last week that I've thought "shit, I wish I had my phone on me", was when I wanted to take a photo of something.

I think discarding technology is the new way of embracing it.

The tale wags the dog because someone goes 'you must have the latest mobile phone because it looks nice and you can have songs on it.'

And you use it as an alarm clock too and you can take photos and suddenly "you just can't live without it" but then you think, well I managed quite well in the past.

Of course I will go and collect the phone from the cab office but I dunno if I'm going to bother turning it on again.

Unless of course I want to snap a picture of something.

7 comments:

dickophile said...

if i didn't have my cellphone i think i would reign a holy terror down onto the world until i got it back.

Bobby Vanquish said...

Dick: Habit dahling - throw it down the toilet and you'll find a new you!

dickophile said...

no! sacrilege!!! stop with this blasphemy!!

Frontier Psychiatrist said...

"I think discarding technology is the new way of embracing it."

I like this idea.

Timmy said...

a year ago I had to turn in my Crackberry. it took me a few days to get over not having it. and then all of a sudden, one day, I had an awesome feeling of being free from the shackles of 24/7 emails. :-)

ANDRE said...

retiring or taking a break from your own blog is even more fun and liberating than writing it, isn't it?

come to the dark side!!!

W said...

i do not understand why you have given up? the quality seems to me the same?