Tuesday 21 August 2007

Kulcha shokka

I got to Edinburgh on Saturday at around lunchtime and met up with The Group.

The Group means me, Nick and Colin (Nick and I have been friends for the last 17 years, his partner is Colin, they're practically married). Nick's sister Tanya, her boyfriend TJ and Linda, our friend from Sweden plus Julie who I've known for nearly 15 years and her brother Tom.

We went to shows, drank (some) beer and laughed a lot. It's always the best with friends.

Friends are people who don't care how many times you go to gym and they don't judge you by the label in your underwear.

At some point I even thought "fuck the fucking gym" and gleefully tucked into one of these:

It's a buttered roll with a two hot dog sausages AND fried grated cheese on the top with tomato sauce.

And I demanded that we go for a drink here:

So while we're vaguely on-topic, here's Bobby's "Edinburgh By Numbers..."

Number of flyers I was handed: Hundreds
Number of airmiles earned: 250
Number of people seen running around in public in a silly costume: 100+
Number of shows seen: 10
Number of famous people spotted: 3*
Number of pints of San Miguel: 2
Number of guys I flirted with: 2
Number of those that resulted in an exchange of phone numbers: 1
Number of pieces of paper I lost with cute guy's phone number on: 1

* - Colin swears he spotted JK Rowling, I saw Stephen Merchant and the guy who plays Justin, Edina's first husband in Absolutely Fabulous.

The best show? It's a toss-off (surely "toss-up") between the Bad Film Club and Fuerzabruta.

The Bad Film Club made me laugh until I was hitting myself, Fuerzabruta was just one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. I can't explain it. There was absolutely no point or narrative to it but it was just astonishing.

Towards the end I managed to get a photo because up until that point I'd just been stood with my mouth hanging open.

Above is the final element to the show, where the guy in the white suit who started the performance by running, is joined by two other people who just run.

After the show, while having a drink and drying off because we got soaking wet, it was bizarre to eavesdrop on the people around us.

It's the first time I've been stood somewhere after a show and listening to people talk about it as though they've just experienced some religious epiphany.

Check the official website, if you live in town where Fuerzabruta's visiting, make a point of going to see it.

I had the most amazing time, mostly because I got my fill and left feeling totally inspired.

At the airport I bought a little Moleskine book and started making notes, reminded of the adage: "if you just write down your thoughts, inspired or otherwise, within a year you'll have the outline to a book".

Paging through it, so far I've got: "must leave key for maid, "need loo roll" and "NatWest" (which I think means I need to phone the bank).

And just before we go, I snapped this pretty picture of Edinburgh Castle.

Edinburgh Castle

No comments: